PDA

View Full Version : Now me and the mad scientist have to replace those piston rings you fried....

sanjay
10-21-2003, 03:41 AM
Is it difficult to replace piston rings if you've never done it before?

WOuld someone be able to post a how-to? PLease?

Cheers,

Sanjay :pimp:

sanjay
10-21-2003, 03:42 AM
Oh by the way, i've lost compression in Cylinder 3, thus me thinks i need to replace the piston ring!

BootMachine
10-21-2003, 09:29 AM
its easy!

you will need a piston ring installer tool...they are like 15 bucks and they look like a speial pair of pliers!

- remove piston
- remember order rings came off in and which way they were facing
- use tool to spread old piston rings and remove
- clean piston and CLEAN THE GROOVES until they are shiny
- install new rings but be carefull....dont bend them too much or they will snap
- dont touch the rings too much because you will cut your fingers!
- use a piston ring compressor (looks like a piece of pipe with a spring on it) to press the rings into the piston and then tap the piston into the block with lights tapps from the rubber end of a hammer!

sanjay
10-22-2003, 02:07 AM
uh, more details? please?

shepherd79
10-22-2003, 03:22 AM
well, here is what you will need to do.
remove the cylinder head.
remove the oil pan.
remove the piston and pull it up.

lost comperession can also be in bad valve(s).

conquestpa
10-22-2003, 07:57 AM
you should also put the pistons back in the same order.

But why not save some time and make sure that you need rings before you tear the whole engine apart?

get a leak down test done.

k-roy
10-22-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by BootMachine
its easy!

you will need a piston ring installer tool...they are like 15 bucks and they look like a speial pair of pliers!

Man screw those old school tools, that is what my grandpa used on his old Dodge pickup. I have broken a dozen rings with those things. ARP makes a really cool ring compressor
http://www.arp-bolts.com/media/pdf_files/TO_65-66.pdf look at page 2. They are the exact sixe for the cylinder bore. I saw them at the Jegs store and fell in love. I have yet to buy some, but I can't wait to use them on my next project.

shepherd79
10-22-2003, 01:56 PM
ring compressor is diff from ring installer tool.
you use ring installer tool to get the ring on the picton, and than you can use ring compressor to compress the rings before you slide them down the block.