PDA

View Full Version : How do I clear clogged windshield washers?

Coitis1
10-21-2003, 04:50 AM
i just noticed this a couple of days ago, so i don't know how long the've been clogged. The fluid is topped off, and i can hear the motor running when i hit the switch. So i'm assuming my washers are clogged. The wipers still work great though. But with winter coming up, i always get snow and whatnot flipped on my windshield from trucks b/c are cars are so low, so i use my wipers and washers a lot. Any suggestions? thanks

edit* now that i think about it, i don't know how both would get clogged at once. damn, i see another "investment" ahead.

RobT5580
10-21-2003, 06:37 AM
Compressed air if you have a compressor around will work good.

MrBen
10-21-2003, 09:12 AM
Mine haven't worked since I got my car. I don't think the pump works either, and it is too much work to replace it. So far I've been fine, but I have a feeling this winter will be bad. I even replaced the nozzles to no avail a while back.

HostileJava
10-21-2003, 09:19 AM
If you pop your hood, you can pull the hoses off of the squirters and see if your getting any fluid out of them, If you not just follow the hose back until you find a clog(should be clear hosing). If the hose isn't cloged then there is probably somthing wrong with the pump. If it turns out that the squirters are clogged I would get the snake eyes to replace them. You don't have to hook the lights up but IMHO the chrome looks better then black. Or you could just go to the Junk Yard and pick some up.

Art 1
10-21-2003, 10:18 AM
Snake Eyes?! Pssh. All you need is a large safety pin and a lighter. Heat up the safety pin and insert into the little holes. I had the same problem a few weeks back, and the fire worked fine for me...

HostileJava
10-21-2003, 10:25 AM
I didn't suggest the snake eyes because it's impossible clean them, I suggested them because in my opinion they look better then the stock black ones. As long as you get the good ones and not the cheap plastic ones. You don't have to light them as I stated before you can cut the wires off.

Coitis1
10-21-2003, 06:26 PM
thanks guys, i'll try these suggestions tomorrow if i have time. More replies are welcome.

johndej
10-21-2003, 06:38 PM
i'd say do the thing where you make shure the hoses are getting fluid. if yes, then try taking a safty pin to them, if that doesn't work, then make shure the pump is making enough pressure to shoot the water out, and if all else fails, go to a junkyard and pull out another pump and try that in there. (basicly just sumerizing whats been said already but oh well :D)

MrBen
10-21-2003, 06:41 PM
Oh yeah "try that in there." My ass. Have to take off the entire damn bumper just to get to it.

cubert
10-22-2003, 05:11 AM
compressed air was what worked for me...and it sems like itd be easier and cheaper then all the other suggestions...but if you have the money go with the snake eye things

johndej
10-22-2003, 01:25 PM
yeah, i know its an understatement but if the pump is dead and he wants water thats what hes going to have to do.

danronian
10-24-2003, 05:43 AM
It could also be a clogged filter in the pickup line from the resevoir. That is if the nozzles arent getting any fluid.

Coitis1
10-25-2003, 01:24 PM
fixed it! it turns out that the line had previously broken and about an inch of the plastic line was missing. They just filled that inch with duck tape, lol. I got out there today and saw this and just went and picked up some rubber replacement hose. The hose was kinda hard to get on, i ended up breaking a couple more inches of the plastic line off. I had to use some lube to get the replacement hose on. Hopefully the plastic line wont break anymore, i'm not worried about the replacement line b/c its flexibe, but the original hose is just stiff plastic. Worse case scenerio: no washers, and thats not a big deal.

Hey rob, my accord looks just like yours but mine is stock and i have some paint fading along the trunk lid. I love the color.