PDA

View Full Version : clutch help?

HPRpreludeSOHC
10-21-2003, 06:52 AM
My dad and I were given an '86 accord sedan yesterday for free. Only thing is, it doesn't want to go into gear. The previous owner also said the clutch was worn hardcore. Is this a clutch problem or a transmission problem?

Everything else runs great on this vehicle. Some rust as usual, but its okay since my dad plans on using it for the winter time. I'm not sure what trim level it is, but I think it's a lower class one. It's has the carb and 12valve motor if that helps.

Anyways, if it is the clutch. Will I be able to use the B20A3 clutch in replacement?

AccordEpicenter
10-21-2003, 09:15 AM
it could be a clutch problem... its tough to tell. As far as i know a B20 clutch will not work on the A20s

k-roy
10-21-2003, 09:27 AM
If it is the clutch that is bad I reccomend a centerforce, they cost the same as from the dealer but are a lot better. I made the mistake of an O.E. clutch.

HPRpreludeSOHC
10-21-2003, 10:56 AM
hmmm... thanks for all the input :) I'm planning on finding a used OEM clutch since this car is the ultimate beater! I'll inspect the clutch and the rest of the system and see how it goes from there.

Other things I haven't noted before, it will not go in gear only when the car is running (I don't know if that's obvious), and if you try to force it into gear, it will grind. But when you try to start the car in gear, with the clutch pedal pressed fully, it still jerks forward. It's almost as if the pedal doesn't work. Any suggestins on this?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
10-22-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by HPRpreludeSOHC
hmmm... thanks for all the input :) I'm planning on finding a used OEM clutch since this car is the ultimate beater! I'll inspect the clutch and the rest of the system and see how it goes from there.

Other things I haven't noted before, it will not go in gear only when the car is running (I don't know if that's obvious), and if you try to force it into gear, it will grind. But when you try to start the car in gear, with the clutch pedal pressed fully, it still jerks forward. It's almost as if the pedal doesn't work. Any suggestins on this?

Possible causes:

1.) Snapped cable - check to see if the pedal movement produces movement at the clutch actuation lever on the tranny.
2.) Unhooked cable - check to make sure the cable is attached at both ends.
3.) Bad throwout bearing in the clutch assembly - bearing doesn't disengage the clutch anymore so it engaged full time.

Since you say the car grinds while running and attempting to plug in a gear, the clutch actuation is probably the culprit. If the pedal is not offering much resistance while going to the floor, it is probably the cable. Also, starting the car in gear and having it jerk means the tranny is fine. If you can do so with the clutch pressed in, once again, the clutch isn't disengaging. The clutch actuator at the transmission is located toward the front of the transmission. Trace the clutch cable to it and you should be able to identify it. Have someone depress the clutch and see if there is any underhood activity.

I hope you find this helpful. :D

HPRpreludeSOHC
10-22-2003, 11:36 PM
This is great help! Thanks to a friend I was able to take a look at the cable to see if it moves while pressing the clutch pedal, and there is a lot of movement. So much movement to the point it looks like it isn't even connected on the other end. So far, I haven't been able to trace the problem since it was quite dark outside and I have the accord in the back alley (both my preludes are in the garage). But I will check sometime this weekend.

What I have decided to do, is to start the car in gear and before it dies from the jerk, floor the gas and see if the car moves in gear. If it does, I plan on testing to see if the clutch slips or not when I pin the gas (assuming the clutch is in permanent full engagement). I know this isn't the safest thing to do since I can't switch gears and will probably have to push my car back. But at least I'll know if the clutch is dead or not.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
10-23-2003, 11:29 AM
Well, I would say that you need to figure out the clutch actuation problem rather than check whether it is bad or not. Also, your clutch adjustment nut may be way out of spec and could be causing too much slack in the cable. Before you start grinding, flooring, or rolling anything, check the simpler things first during daylight. If you can't get the clutch to work, what good would it do you to know if the clutch is not worn to shreds? I think that the problem is probably your cable either being disconnected or snapped.