PDA

View Full Version : Crank and Canshaft are off align?

kevins89lxi
10-21-2003, 07:35 AM
I can not figure out how to line up the top camshaft pulley and the bottom crankcases pulley so that when the timing belt is on it is in alignment and the car will run. I see no marks on the bottom crank case pulley to line it up with the top camshaft pulley. THe top has the marking of top on it and I line it up with the valve cover bolt. Next is the bottom pulley I can't figutre it out all there is is the holes on oppisite ends and then there is a black line on the pulley? How do you set the bottom to line up with the top pulley? Also they have been turned so thre is no way they are aligned. When I did get it back together and thought it was aligned and tried to start all that happened was the fumes came out to the intake. WHAT GIVES!!!!!!!!!!!

Dibbs
10-21-2003, 08:03 AM
Did you line up the mark in the transaxle. There's a black rubber plug near where the transaxle meets the block. Take that rubber plug out and line up that mark along with the cam, etc. A real Ghetto trick to find if your car is a TDC is to stick a screwdriver in the #1 cylinder and carefully move the crank to see if the piston is moving towards TDC as you approach the timing mark. Of course, be sure to take the screwdriver out once you've figured that out. If you've lined up all the marks perfectly and you're still not able to start the car, your timing may be 180 degrees off. This happened to me. The easiest way to repair this is to re-arrange to plug wires to the contact nearest the rotor when the marks are aligned then follow the firing order from there. This is yet another Ghetto trick, so if you're not that experienced in working with cars I probably wouldn't suggest doing it. I'm assuming that you threw your timing belt while driving?

thegreatdane
10-21-2003, 08:08 AM
There is a mark on the flywheel and a pin behind it on the wall into the block. It might be hidden by dirt because it's pretty small so search for it with a srewdriver or something. It's like a big needle actually. You can access the flywheel from the sqare hole there is between the tranny and the engine. Right next to the engine number.