PDA

View Full Version : nasty interior

cfluvsnh
10-21-2003, 12:26 PM
I am buying an 89 Accord in a couple of days, but there is a major problem with it. The guy I am buying it from is a moron. He painted the vents and trim on the dash blue. The rest of it is black. Now is it just me, or is that not a good combination? And when he did it, he was really lazy about it. He didn't remove the parts he wanted to paint, he just taped around them and sprayed away. It looks like total and complete shit. Do you think sanding it down and painting them again is a good idea, or what? I know you can't paint over it the way it is because it will run all over the place, and it is not going to stay blue no matter what. I am going to look around at junk-yards and stuff, but I don't want to pay a whole lot for a new dash.
The other problem is the exterior is light blue. I want to do it in either white and green or black and green. I just don't have the money to get it redone...I guess that I will just have to wait on that one.
So tell me what you think about the dash...what should I do to get rid of that awful blue?:confused: And I know you are going to ask for pics, I will have them posted in a couple of days.

hondamanlxi
10-21-2003, 12:54 PM
as dumb as it sounds, use cheapo carb cleaner! Simply remove the painted parts, spray and rub off! Avoid sanding unless necessary! Carb spary also makes a good prep spray:)

i know i know, im a redneck

cfluvsnh
10-21-2003, 12:59 PM
It does sound a little redneck, but I didn't even think about that. Thanks a lot.

markmdz89hatch
10-22-2003, 07:46 AM
And if that doesn't work, I might have some extra vents lying around in my basement. Is your car an LX, DX, or LX-i?

cfluvsnh
10-22-2003, 08:13 AM
Its a DX, but I need more than just the vents. Center console, the area surrounding the gauge cluster, door handles, even the little part that goes around the lock. (I will just have to get new ones of those, they are broken and really loose)

markmdz89hatch
10-22-2003, 08:44 AM
I take it your interior is blue right?

HostileJava
10-22-2003, 08:58 AM
Well the painting can definetly look good if it's done right. I painted my interior parts blue, but did alot of prep work. On the other hand it really makes the interior stand out and that may not be what you want. Try break fluid, that should take the paint off. I don't know what it would do to the plastic so try it on a small piece first. Goodluck.

cfluvsnh
10-22-2003, 02:31 PM
No, the interior is black, but the guy that owned it before me painted it all blue...I just need to get you guys some pics.

BITESIZE
10-28-2003, 10:54 AM
Before I painted my interior I went to the salvage yard and bought all the vents that I was going to paint for $30. That way I had a set to paint while I had a set still in my car. That's a swell idea you might want to consider. And if you're close to Burley (where my parents live), I might consider giving you my extra set of vents and other things, seeing how I don't need them anymore. Let me know.

PortugalFocus
10-28-2003, 01:46 PM
yay!!! :rice:

danronian
10-28-2003, 06:53 PM
Beware of carb cleaner. It usually melts plastics that arent meant to come in contact with gasoline. Brake fluid sounds a little pricey but if its the only thing that works, why not. Carb cleaner does make a great paint prep, but only when I used it on metal.

3G Jester
10-29-2003, 09:21 AM
oh god that ghetto rice.

yeah. watch out for carb cleaner or hell...any liquid sander or paint remover. mostlikely it will do some damage to your dash.

try it. be be prepared to relace your vents [that will at least make the damage to the dash less noticible]
thats only if there is damage though. you might get luky and not scuff it.......not use sandpaper at all! but start thinking about getting new vents or a new dash. or if you want to repaint it start thinking about a new color.

DOWN WITH :rice:

Bloodlust
10-29-2003, 09:55 AM
Damn it sucks that the interior is painted black now. And the fact that it was blue in the first place because I have a center console in great shape that I am looking to get rid of cheap, but heres the bad news its maroon... Just throwing out the idea.

cfluvsnh
10-29-2003, 03:59 PM
I am definetly going to repaint, I just didn't think spraypaint on top of spraypaint would work out that well. Is there some kind of primer I can just use?