PDA

View Full Version : Engine smokes

Silver86LX
10-21-2003, 01:37 PM
When I start my car up, after about 5 minutes of driving it starts to smoke from under the hood. When I pop the hood, I can't quite see where the smoke of coming from. It just seems to be coming from everywhere. Also, on warm days the engine tends to over heat a bit. It doesn't run in the red, but the guage goes up to about the 3/4 mark. To combat this, I have been putting the heat on full blast and it goes down to about the 1/2 way mark (since it has been getting cooler, I haven't really had to do this at all). I've been told by a few people that it could either be my radiator, or my head gasket. What do you huys think?

NXRacer
10-21-2003, 02:05 PM
your smoking problem could be a bad valve cover gasket which is about a 5 dollar part and 1/2 hours work. Is there oil on the top of your motor around your valve cover?

As for your heating problem, flush your radiator out real good and replace your thermostat.

shepherd79
10-21-2003, 02:25 PM
here is the easy way to check where the smoke is comming from.
start the car and let it idle for a very long time.
till it starts smoking.
it is eather you have oil leak or you have busted coolant hose.

Silver86LX
10-21-2003, 05:46 PM
I just changed my valve cover and gormmets in July because it was leaking oil. It didn't stop the leak but it slowed it down.