PDA

View Full Version : Fans won't turn on

mag_pbg
10-21-2003, 02:08 PM
For some reason my fan won't turn on, all the fuses are fine but nomatter what temp. the guage reads it still won't turn on, I have heard that they won't turn on unless the car over heats, but my sensor is screwed up and reads the motor is over heating often but the fans stil won't turn on, so is there a way to fix this or rig it to where you can turn it on wiht a switch¿ Also the temp. sensor is out, it is the first one on the thermostat housing, it is rather small and is pretty much nothing but a wire I need to know the name of it so I can order a new one.

Mac
10-21-2003, 05:52 PM
Does your a/c work? If so turn it on and see if the fans turn on. If the fans turn on then the fuse and fan motors are good.

Next, there is a switch in the bottom of your radiator. Disconnect the plug and jump out the 2 wires. See if the fan comes on with the key on and engine off.

If fans run, the switch is probally bad.

I've had bad luck with new switchs from auto parts stores. I bought 2 or 3 and none of them worked. I ended up going to a junkyard and got 1 that worked.

mag_pbg
10-21-2003, 05:57 PM
I will have to go with the last option, I discounected my A/C, I still need some help finding out what the name of the sensor is, I thouth it was called the coolant sensor, but it turns out to be one of the larger sensors on the housing. If you still don't know what one Im talking abotu it is the one directly behind the little male adapter on the top of the thermostat housing.

Mac
10-21-2003, 06:06 PM
If it only has 1 wire to it I think it is the coolant temp sender unit.

mag_pbg
10-21-2003, 06:16 PM
Thanx Mac, I think you got it, it does only have one wire coming off of it, and has a small clip on the end that connects to a sensor inside the housing.

RobbyKlotz
10-22-2003, 07:02 AM
if I am not mistaken there is a way to wire the fan to a toggle switch. But I cant remember how it was done. or wire it straight to your ignition.