PDA

View Full Version : Brake Wisdom or Just B.S?

DBMaster
10-21-2003, 03:44 PM
I called a local NAPA store today to find out availability on brake pads for our Odyssey van. The guy started lecturing me about making sure I resurfaced he rotors. I asked him why it was necessary if mine were not damaged. He claimed that the "glaze" on the surface of the rotor would cause the new pads to become "superheated" as they broke in and would result in either warped rotors or half the life span of the pads.

Now, I have not EVER resurfaced the rotors or turned the drums on my 89 LXi. I change the pads and shoes before they wear out completely so I have no scoring. I have 210.000 miles on the car and I just recently changed my pads after 120,000 miles.

So, my question to you is, is this guy's statement valid, or B.S?

Later, amigos!

NXRacer
10-21-2003, 03:53 PM
it is valid to an extent. He's right in that over time the rotor will get glazed from all that use (especially if you do a lot of hard braking), but i dont know if it will kill your brake pads that much faster.

k-roy
10-21-2003, 03:56 PM
Sounds like he was trying to up his profits, probably a manager. But he is somewhat correct, if you change pads it is a good idea to turn the rotors. I usually have the rotors turned every time I replace pads. I replace the rotors every 2 or 3 times I replace pads. I just like to be thorough on what I do.

Jareds 89 LX-i
10-21-2003, 04:13 PM
At work when we do a brake job, we always turn the rotors when replacing pads (just did a brake job today on an LS), but being a dealer we also want it fixed the first time so it doesn't come back later for a vibration right after a brake job was done. You are supposed to, but it's not like the sky is gonna come crashing down if you don't, LOL. If your rotors are still within spec, and still brake nice and smooth (not warped), then just replacing the pads should be fine. I've done that before and never had a problem. To help remove any glaze you can just pop the rotors off and scuff them up with some coarse sandpaper, just like you do after turning them -- small circular motions around the rotor several times.

DBMaster
10-21-2003, 06:44 PM
Well, the old LXi has just a bit of pulsation in the pedal. Not too surprising after 210,000 without turned rotors.

My problem is getting them off. The stupid Phillips screws seem frozen in place.

Thanks for the responses, guys! On my LXi I may just replace the rotors next time while on the van I am going ahead and just replacing the pads and scuffing the rotors.

Mac
10-21-2003, 06:52 PM
Yep, them screws can be a pain. Try one of them impact wrenchs. You know the one that you smack with a hammer. That worked for me. Also you can find rotors cheap. Sometimes new rotors come with some stuff on them to keep them from rusting I think. I like to clean that crap off before I install them.

DBMaster
10-21-2003, 07:12 PM
I found this article that actually matches my philosophy. Only thing is that I have never rebuilt the pistons or calipers. I follow Honda's recommendation of flushing out the fluid every 30K miles and I use synthetic DOT 4 brake fluid so there has never been any really dirty fluid in my system.

http://www.autosite.com/garage/repairqa/ques007.asp

The article also has a very plausible explanation why several on this board have said that they have resurfaced rotors only to have brake pulsation return.