PDA

View Full Version : Weird stalling problem.

danronian
10-22-2003, 05:18 AM
The car did this last year during the winter and now that it is getting cold again it is doing it again. Sometimes when I start the car when it is about 45 degrees or lower and when it has sat w/o being ran for about 2 hours or in the morning it does this. I start the car and it runs fine but then from 30 seconds to a few minutes later it stalls. I didnt really care until the other morning when I pulled out from my road and it stalled when a car was behind me. At first I thought it was I shifted (5spd) wrong but then I have whitnessed it do the same thing while just sitting in neutral. My dad thinks it is the fuel pump relay but I know nothing about car electrical and he knows nothing about hondas so I hope someone here can help me. I havent checked for an engine code yet but I will soon.

Here are some things to rule out: I cleaned the throttle body thoroughly a few weeks ago, new plugs and wires last year, new distributer shortly before, clean airfilter.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

1988starter
10-22-2003, 08:32 AM
Check the thermostat it will fuck up your past idle if it sticking open and it is cold out. I just replaced my 160 summer one with a 195 and it was running like crap the whole time I had the 160 in.

dhcarss
10-22-2003, 09:59 AM
Sounds like the same problem that Im having, I have a 160 thermostat, That was my next thing to try was to take it out.. hope it works

1988starter
10-22-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by dhcarss
Sounds like the same problem that Im having, I have a 160 thermostat, That was my next thing to try was to take it out.. hope it works

I put in a 195 now it runs perfect does not over heat and I have great heating in the car. 160 was mesing with my fast idle controll and IAC

danronian
10-22-2003, 10:37 AM
I Just flushed out the whole coolant system, and bled the air out. I bought a new thermostat but the old one looked fine so I just left in in there, since I have no problems with the temp I figured it would be fine like that, and it was a 195 heavyduty stant. I forgot to mention that in things I recently serviced on the engine.

danronian
10-23-2003, 06:55 PM
I checked the ecu for codes and it wasnt giving any. Any more ideas? I also just cleaned the PCV which was clogged shut, so that rules that out if that could be it. Could it be something with the egr and the car being cold?

danronian
10-27-2003, 06:25 AM
Well the car has been doing this more often now. It sometimes takes four tries to get it to start. My dad is telling me it is the fuel pump relay. Should I just go ahead and replace it, or is it something else, b/c he has no experience with honda engines but I really dont know what else to do?

nswst8
01-06-2004, 05:27 AM
The main fuel relay is located driver side fender well right where your left is if your sitting in the car under the dash, you can pull it take it apart resoder the connections or just buy a new one they are about $45 or find one in the junk yard. LOL
NSWST8

danronian
01-06-2004, 09:42 PM
I found one in the j/y but I need to learn how to solder first. It doesn't stall very much after I start it and never has left me stranded, but just in case, I keep the junkyard fuel relay in the trunk for an emergency.