PDA

View Full Version : tint

cfluvsnh
10-22-2003, 07:20 AM
I just bought an 89 Accord and the tint on it is really crappy. You can tell right off it wasn't done professionaly, and it is really cracked and torn. Is there any easy way I can take it off myself? I have done it with a razor on previous cars I have owned, but I really don't want to waste another weekend doing that. Mainly because it smells really bad for some odd reason. Does anyone have any tips?

Dibbs
10-22-2003, 07:31 AM
Here's a good How-To article I found. It's pretty complete.

Auto Tint Removal (http://doityourself.com/auto/automotivetintremoval.htm)

markmdz89hatch
10-22-2003, 07:43 AM
I had the same problem with my current coupe. I went to a local tint company and they said the best and most effective way to remove the tint is with the razor. They said to just get a bucket of soapy water (use dish soap) and a sponge, then soak the snot out of the window and let it sit for about 5 min. Soak it again and go at it with a razor. Once the tint is off, then do it again for all the adhesive and you should be back in business. As for the back window they suggested a soft scrubby pad (also used for dishes), but one that's not too abrasive. That would get off whatever remnants of glue are left on the windows. For the back window they said to soak it a few times, then try and peel off as much tint as possible, then use that scrubby pad for the rest of the window so you don't damage the defroggers.

cfluvsnh
10-22-2003, 08:10 AM
Thanks a lot guys, that helped.

lightbulblxi
10-22-2003, 10:29 PM
try tint off from walmart. never used it tho.

cfluvsnh
10-23-2003, 06:59 AM
Is there such a thing?

markmdz89hatch
10-23-2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by cfluvsnh
Is there such a thing?

Yeah it exists, never tried it though. Don't know what it would be more then soapy water, or goo-gone in a bottle and labelled tint remover.

AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, PepBoys, and the like would have it too, right near the window tint rolls.

Justin86
10-24-2003, 10:07 AM
I would just go to a pro and get the warenty.

Vinny
10-24-2003, 10:09 AM
I was thinking the same thing, if you take it in to have it tinted they can take it off for you. Of course they may charge ya 20 bucks to do it. Nothin else call a tint place and ask them

markmdz89hatch
10-24-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Vinny
I was thinking the same thing, if you take it in to have it tinted they can take it off for you. Of course they may charge ya 20 bucks to do it. Nothin else call a tint place and ask them

That's the first thing I did. When I went to the tint place they wanted 160 to tint the windows (I know it's kinda high, but they are the best around and I'm REAL picky when it comes to my tinting.). They said if they have to remove the tint, or even just the adhesive from old tint, it was an extra $80.

HostileJava
10-24-2003, 10:41 AM
Yeah the place I took mine to quote some guy $75 to take the old stuff off when I was there.

k-roy
10-24-2003, 10:53 AM
Ok im just going to throw this out.
Anyone who gets new tint stick with 3M brand. It rules. If applied correctly it will last the life of the car without turning purple, bubbling or any stupid stuff like that. Just my 2 cents.

markmdz89hatch
10-24-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by kroy
Ok im just going to throw this out.
Anyone who gets new tint stick with 3M brand. It rules. If applied correctly it will last the life of the car without turning purple, bubbling or any stupid stuff like that. Just my 2 cents.

The turning purple has something to do with bad quality tint as opposed to good quality (Like 3M), but more-so to do with what you clean the windows with.

If there's any harsh detergents in the window cleaner, it will eventually bleach out the tint and leave you with purple windows. Or, any window cleaner that has Amonia (Windex) will bleach out your tint regardless of what brand you have. Clear-View is the best stuff I've come across for cleaning the windows and not bleaching it at all. I've had my tint for almost 4 years now, and still they're black as black can be, no purple at all.

Justin86
10-24-2003, 12:47 PM
Well shit the local place around here it is $300 for full tint job 30%. Including the windsheild banner and it come with a lifetime guarente.

k-roy
10-24-2003, 01:07 PM
Amonia is some bad stuff to use on automobiles, or anything for that matter. At least use alcohol based window cleaner. I perfer 3m auto glass cleaner, it kicks ass and works on just about anything, vinyl, plastic rubber, etc. And it is safe for tint.

cfluvsnh
10-24-2003, 01:11 PM
I just called the local tint shop. They said it would cost $10 a window to have it removed ($70) and then another $230 to put a 30% back on. So all together it will cost me about 300 big ones. I think I am just going to razor the side windows and have them take it off the back window for me so I don't have to worry about the defrogger. That way it will only cost $240. (I will prolly not do it, but it is nice to know)

MrBen
10-24-2003, 07:13 PM
Have used Windex on my mom's car ever since it was new. Tint was installed a few days after the car was bought off the lot. Still looks brand new.

markmdz89hatch
10-25-2003, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by GhettoAccord
Have used Windex on my mom's car ever since it was new. Tint was installed a few days after the car was bought off the lot. Still looks brand new.

I would guess that it's amonia free windex that you're using. If not, then I have no clue why the windows are not purple yet.