Anyone ever try this?

http://www.braketru.com/index.html

Pretty interesting.

thegreatdane
10-22-2003, 08:27 AM
Page not working, dude.

k-roy
10-22-2003, 09:30 AM
I have seen them in action before. I did not really like it. It shot sparks everywhere. But it did work. I perfer to take the rotors off, go to napa, pay the $12 and get them resurfaced on a brake lathe while I eat lunch.

NXRacer
10-22-2003, 10:48 AM
i think its totally pointless to have to take your brakes apart, put them together, then use those things for a time (hopefully you dont grind the rotors down to nothing) then take them all apart again and put the right pads on them. TOTAL waste of time. why bother???

Vinny
10-22-2003, 10:55 AM
UMMMMMM yeah lets do the same job twice instead of just taking the rotors off and taking 15 minutes to take them off and waiting an hr or 2 to have them resurfaced. And no one mentioned the fact that you should check the thickness of the rotor but I guess this thing doesn't take enough off to matter, yeah right.

C'mon people new rotors are 16 bucks each at almost every parts place in America, quit being such cheap ass'.

I bet people that buy these buy the Tornado or that fan supercharger thing too :flip:

DBMaster
10-22-2003, 11:51 AM
Thing is, that if you do a little reading you will start to notice that the consensus seems to be that on-the-car resurfacing is better. Now, most of what I am seeing is referring to special lathes that do the work on the car, but this sounded interesting.

I ordered a kit just to try out on the Odyssey because I am about to change pads and the brake on it are always noisy. I might cancel the order, I am not sure yet.

If I end up using it, I'll let y'all know how it goes.

DBMaster
10-22-2003, 11:56 AM
Page not working, dude.

You are right. It is the correct URL, but their site appears to be down at the moment.

DBMaster
11-01-2003, 10:55 AM
Well, I actually used these things today. I measured my rotors first - just happen to have a micrometer caliper from my drafting and engineering school days. They actually are extremely easy to use and leave a very nice, unique finish on the rotors. It took far less time than pulling the rotors and taking them to a machine shop - even Honda's shop manual says to use an on-the-car brake lathe. These refinishing pads are somewhat equivalent to that.

So far I feel no more pulsation, but I will report again after a time to make sure it does not come back. I found it interesting that after 210,000 miles and never resurfacing the rotors that the finish was not too bad and the thickness was still above minimum spec.

DBMaster
11-01-2003, 11:00 AM
I'll tell you the weirdest part. I followed the instructions which tell you to jack up only one front wheel at a time. So, you are actually putting the car in gear and accelerating it to 3,000 RPM in low gear ("2" for you automatic folks like me) with one wheel off and the other on the ground. I guess I got a practical lesson on the function of a differential. Even thought the Barke-Tru guy told me it was no problem, my heart still skipped a beat when I shifted into a forward gear like this with the car on a jack and jack stand. I guess it's living proof that our cars do not have posi-traction.

Like I said. Doing this job took me less than an hour, start to finish (including cleaning the grime off me).

BMS
11-01-2003, 11:49 AM
I would sooo have a heart attack when I let out the clutch for the first time

DBMaster
11-01-2003, 12:01 PM
That's why I did this in the driveway - outside the garage. Didn't want my car to end up in the laundry room.

Still makes no sense to me to have the wheel with no traction spinning and the wheel on the ground immobile.