PDA

View Full Version : Custom Carpet Interior

RobbyKlotz
10-22-2003, 01:36 PM
How would I go about doing the carpet interior to match the color of the interior I want my car... can you buy it... or is there a way to dye it the color you want...

Dibbs
10-22-2003, 01:45 PM
You can do either. Dyeing is cheaper but a bit time consuming to get it done right. If you take a bottle of liquid dye in the color you want, take a kitchen whisk and whisk the liquid dye in a bucket of some kind to form bubbles. Scoop up bubbles only with a sponge, while wearing gloves of course, and wipe across the carpet in even strokes. Repeat process until complete.

Carpet, can be bought pre-molded and ready for drop in but you're usually limited on colors. There's a self-molding carpet on the market that forms to the floor as you lay it. There's a lot more color choice with this option. Last there's just regular automotive carpet that has to be cut & sewn to fit. This is for professionals only! The pre molded carpet will take a couple cans of 3M Foam Fast spray adhesive to lay down and costs about $200 total.

NXRacer
10-22-2003, 01:49 PM
places that sell OEM carpets:
http://www.autocarpetoriginals.com/hondaproducts.htm
http://www.autoupholsterykits.com/

they can also be found on ebay

Morbid Intentionz
10-23-2003, 01:01 PM
Theres die you can buy like in spray paint cans. I found some at advance auto parts and auto zone if you have any of those stores there

HostileJava
10-23-2003, 01:18 PM
The best way, and probably the most expensive would be to take it to an apolstry place and have them do it.

ShawnS
10-23-2003, 03:11 PM
i've used that fabric spray paint stuff on the headliner in my pinto . it worked really well. carpet might be a little tougher due to the height of the pile though. just my .02.

ps
wear a mask when you use it!!! TONS of overspray.

Dibbs
10-23-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by HostileJava
The best way, and probably the most expensive would be to take it to an apolstry place and have them do it.

:werd:

If you get the pre-molded carpet, most ppl can install it without much of a problem. You just need to get some cans of spray adhesive. I think Foam Fast by 3m is the best adhesive on the market. It's a tad expensive but it works better than anything else I've seen

Illicit3rdgenRacer
10-23-2003, 07:27 PM
or you cuold be like me and take tha cheap way out to redo your carpet and buy some from walmart only 7 bucks for a 6' x3' peice of carpet

danronian
10-24-2003, 03:43 AM
If you do buy pre-molded replacement carpet go with any brand EXCEPT newark auto, I bought "pre-molded" carpet from them and instead of molding it they cut and sewed it. Some of the seams are already splitting after only driving the car on the weekends for the past 2 years. They are like 20 bucks cheaper but not worth the hassle. You can generally get alot of different colors for replacement carpets. Just call the companies and ask for carpet samples. The carpets usually cost around $150, not bad for a decent floor IMO.

markmdz89hatch
10-24-2003, 06:31 AM
Merged the two threads together and cleaned 'em up a bit.