PDA

View Full Version : A20 transmission on a B20A

Gregg86DX
10-22-2003, 03:10 PM
Hi folks,

I know it technically won't fit, but has anyone tried really hard to get an A20 5 speed on a B20? The bolt patterns appear to be different, but do any of the bolts line up and are there any major obstructions? I'm not afraid to do some cutting and welding, but I'd rather not have to fab a whole new bellhousing.

It seems there are quite a few B20A's w/auto floating around (like mine) but 5 speeds are damn near impossible to find.

Maybe cut the mounting face off the B20 auto and weld it to the A20 5 speed...

If I can get my hands on an A20 5 speed, I'd like to play with trying to get it to fit. I realize there could be problems with the clutch setup too, but I'm willing to give it a go.

So two questions:

Has anyone spent enough time trying to make it fit to definitively state if can or can not be done?

Anyone have a broken 5 speed near Portland, Oregon that they would like to donate to the cause?

Thanks,

Gregg

:pimp:

NXRacer
10-22-2003, 03:22 PM
have you tried swapping bell housings?

Gregg86DX
10-22-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by NXRacer
have you tried swapping bell housings?

Do the bellhousings separate from the case? (without a sawzall:D )

My plan is to start playing with this this weekend, so if nobody has a 5 speed around here, I will hit the junkyards and see what I can come up with.

Gregg

NXRacer
10-22-2003, 03:35 PM
i believe they bolt together, but i'm not absolutely sure. it would be worth a try.

Openloop motorsports has b20 stuff, but i dont know if they'd sell just a 5 speed. You might be able to contact them and see if they know of any b20a compatabilities

Gregg86DX
10-22-2003, 06:55 PM
Well, I just looked and it appears the bellhousing does bolt on. It will definitely be worth seeing if they interchange, but honestly, I'd be surprised. I really have no idea how difficult this could be, but if I got an A20 5 speed to play with, I could get a pretty good idea.

Gregg

Gregg86DX
10-27-2003, 10:26 AM
Just a quick update that I hit some junk yards this weekend but they all wanted like $300 for a Tranny and no one had a blown one they would sell cheap. I expect I will have to find one from a private party.

Ideally, I'd like to find a complete 88-89 5 speed LXi parts car. I could pull the tranny and get the parts I need to convert to FI.

Gregg