PDA

View Full Version : car audio is by far the most annoying thing ever

89accordLXiAllAudio
10-23-2003, 11:06 AM
ok heres another chance to be like, "you just blah the blah, stupid" I finally got the sound system to be what i wanted, and installed the sub for the completion of the system. everything worked beautiful for about a day. after school one day, i started the car, the head unit came to life and started the cd, strangely i heard nothing. and then i hear the boom from the sub. Alone. None of the speakers in the car make any sound other than the sub. i have no idea at all what could be wrong. it worked once after that, when i was moving my car in the parking lot, everything worked fine. ever since that it hasnt come back to life. please help. this is the most frustrating thing ever.

HostileJava
10-23-2003, 11:30 AM
Make sure your 12v turn on is connected and that it's not grounding out anywhere, it's possible that if it's a small ground point its pulling the voltage down to 10v or somthing and the sub amp is still turning on but not the other amps. Of course make sure all your connections are secure, if you have a multimeter make sure your getting the proper voltage(12v) at each amp. Pull the RCA connectors out of the speaker amps and plug them into the sub amp to make sure you have output from them. Let me know how that goes. :cool:

89accordLXiAllAudio
10-23-2003, 11:35 AM
what do you mean the 12v turn on? do you mean the ignition wire? cause that is plugged in. also, i only have an amp for the sub, there is no amp for the other speakers. i must fix this before i kill my car.

89accordLXiAllAudio
10-23-2003, 11:51 AM
all of my speakers but my sub are running off the head unit

k-roy
10-23-2003, 12:05 PM
Ahhh, amps that are built into head units usually suck. The cause heat witch lessons the life of the deck. Get another amp.

catalin
10-23-2003, 01:15 PM
One or all of the speakers are shorting to ground or the decks output is done.

Install in a 89 Accord I'm assuming?? What kind of speakers did you install in it??

89accordLXiAllAudio
10-23-2003, 07:04 PM
the fronts are jensen 6.5s and the rears are pioneer 6x9s. im thinking that the the speakers are shorting or grounding, because the deck is fine. it is fairly new and a good quality one. so how does one go about fixing a short or ground to the speakers???

catalin
10-24-2003, 12:16 AM
Here's a quick test you can do...
Roll all windows up and make sure that it's quiet in the car.
Turn stereo on and listen for a faint popping type sound. If you hear it will most likely come from the speaker that is shorting to ground.
If you don't hear then you'll have to visually check all the speakers. All terminals of the speakers should not touch the chassis of the vehicle.
You can also use a multi meter by checking for continuity to ground at each speaker output at the deck.

If you cut the rear out for the 6x9's, I'm betting on the fault to be at one or both of those speakers.

POS carb
10-24-2003, 06:37 AM
I think there's a bad speaker connection and the amp is protecting itself. Check for wires touching the metal of the car or speaker basket

89accordLXiAllAudio
10-26-2003, 07:31 PM
yeah i hear a pop in my front right. so i should check to see if the metal in the connectors are touching the frame of the car?

catalin
10-26-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by 89accordLXiAllAudio
yeah i hear a pop in my front right. so i should check to see if the metal in the connectors are touching the frame of the car?

Yes it's most likely that speaker that is causing your problem. Disconnect it then turn on the deck and see what happens.
If it still doesn't play then I would suggest that you disconnect the front right speaker output at the deck. The wiring from the deck to the speaker can be shorting out too, but it's most likely right at the speaker.

89accordLXiAllAudio
10-27-2003, 06:13 PM
i fixed it! i fixed it! the metal connector was touching the frame of the car, and thus shorting out the speakers. once again thank you all for your help.

catalin
10-27-2003, 10:56 PM
Nice work!

And think how many people thought I was crazy to suggest what I did...;)