PDA

View Full Version : Possessed Engine

Andibogard
10-23-2003, 04:36 PM
Ok guys this is getting annoying and embarassing... Whenever i turn my car off and take my key out, my engine starts acting crazy, it sounds like it's going to start back up and shakes and goes crazy, then finally dies. Anye suggestions?:werd:

k-roy
10-23-2003, 04:50 PM
That is called dieseling. Here is something I found on the net.

The most common cause of that is the failure of the anti dieseling mechanism, sometimes an "anti dieseling solenoid", found on most late model carbureted cars. What is happening is that the throttle is remaining partially open when the engine is shut down, which gives the hot engine sufficient fuel to run without a spark from the spark plugs. Most hot engines have sufficient carbon build-up that remains glowing red hot and acts as an igniter for the fuel. The solution is to make sure that the throttle closes completely when you turn off the ignition switch. Check the throttle stop and make sure that the fast idle on the choke or the "bottom stop" isn't what is stopping the throttle from closing.

You should check out the howto section on this board for retuning the carb, it is a good idea to do a few times a year.

RustyHo88
10-23-2003, 06:21 PM
when was the last time you changed your coolant hoses? thermostat? coolant? radiator? any one of these things can cause your car to run too hot, which can cause dieseling.

MrBen
10-23-2003, 06:23 PM
Yeah mine does that too sometimes, only when cold. It's actually pretty funny. One time it did it for a couple minutes; I couldn't get it to stop.

thegreatdane
10-24-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by GhettoAccord
Yeah mine does that too sometimes, only when cold. It's actually pretty funny. One time it did it for a couple minutes; I couldn't get it to stop.

Didn't you take it for a drive then? Just to see if it made good Horsepowers :lol

Andibogard
10-24-2003, 10:41 PM
Thanks guys i really appreciate it, i'm gonna check it out, now at least i know where to start looking

bladekid
10-25-2003, 10:05 AM
Mine does this only when the car is still on the choke at 2,100 rpm and I shut it down

Is it bad for the engine to let it do his thing ? When I'm late and I don't let the car run before taking off in winter the choke is still on when I get to school..I prefer to just drop the clutch than let it run for 20 seconds in the school parking lot