PDA

View Full Version : Just got my first accord..

woode
10-23-2003, 07:06 PM
sup everyone, i just got, well, my first car actually lol
now that i can finally drive (legally) i got a 1989 honda accord lx-i 4dr, it was owned by some old lady since 1989 so its got NOTHING on it other than new oil (i think..)
now, im not like a car genious but im wondering what u guys think i should put on it..
got no pics of it, but its just a plain ol accord in need of a diff paintjob and some rims

MrBen
10-23-2003, 07:09 PM
Hey! Welcome to the board. Where are you located in Washington?

Sounds like a great score, and, you have fuel injection. Awesome. I say pop some rims on there and paint it.

woode
10-23-2003, 07:11 PM
snohomish.. not to far from seattle

yea, i was test driving cars a few days ago, i test drove this 1 93 del sol and i was driving it down the street when i noticed a funny smell, i looked at the temp gauge and it was pegged past red, i turned around, and by the time i got back to the dealership the car wouldnt start. the engine had siezed up i guess, it wouldnt even turn ..

blazin3gen
10-23-2003, 07:11 PM
Welcome man! hope u enjoy this site like we do, cant wait to see pics of your beast, and WERD on the rims :D

3G Jester
10-23-2003, 07:12 PM
welcome to the board. sounds like you got yourself a nice car!
im willing to bet there is some rust in the rear wheel wells.....there seems to be a problem with that :lol

but if you wanna look into things like headers, or intakes or whatever. please use the search feature at the top of the page. also the FAQ and the how to's will tell you most everything else.

again welcome to the board! :wave: there is a big washington crew so you should join them on their meets! best of luckto you and dont hesitate to ask any questions. just run a search first!

lightbulblxi
10-23-2003, 07:22 PM
sup. sounds like a nice car.

woode
10-23-2003, 07:24 PM
what do ya guys think would be the best first things to get with only $600?

blazin3gen
10-23-2003, 07:26 PM
for 600 u can get some cheap rims off of www.wheelmax.com and with the money left over u can get some cheap springs and lower the bitch :D

of for 600 u can get a Maaco paint job.....

k-roy
10-23-2003, 07:28 PM
Good deal, welcome to the board.
I say get a cd player and some speakers, then work on rims, tires and suspension. At that point it will be worthy of a new paint job. You should shearch areound this board for a few hours, there are lots of things you can do.

MrBen
10-23-2003, 07:53 PM
Well I'm in Marysville, just down the highway from you a few minutes. Glad to have another 3gee close by!

MattsAccord
10-23-2003, 09:01 PM
Old people are the best people to buy cars from, if there brain still works right. :D How many miles? Auto 5-speed?

3G Jester
10-23-2003, 09:09 PM
go get some speakers and a head unit. IMO music is one of the most important parts to a car. not too look cool but to keep your sanity on long drives, to keep your mind active....and as entertainment.
now....15 year old speakers arent the best condition and your stock headunit im sure could use a replacement. i got the Xplodes from walmart for speakers and to be honest...they kicked ass.
not the best speakers but loud, clear and inexpensive. and i havent blown em yet. that was two summers ago. and i transfered 2 of em into the AV6 when i got that a year ago.

woode
10-23-2003, 09:11 PM
160k miles, its an auto.. (i wanted a 5 speed but it seems the only cars i could find in 5 speeds were old trucks and new integras (cant afford)
i guess auto isnt THAT bad considering where i live theres a good deal of traffic, but.. bah

as far as a speakers etc, i got that covered.. my dad and grandpa both are obsessed about having THE-BEST audio equipment.. so im getting there "old" stuff (nice kenwood mp3 cd player deck, some xplodes for the front and some decent kenwoods for the back..

danronian
10-24-2003, 05:19 AM
If I were you I would make sure you dont need a bunch of suspension part before puting money into something that isnt necessary. If an old lady didnt beat the car I would say it is about time for a front suspension rebuild. Mine needed everything in the front end at about 140K and it was driven by teens its whole life through a pothole filled NE PA. But I would seriously do this before blowing money that would come in handy for half shafts and the such. Good luck with it though!

The first thing I did was replace the audio in my car and then I figured out I needed both upper control arms, tires (b/c they were worn to the cords in 2 weeks), front end alignment, and then both half shafts started clicking and both boots ripped within a month. I was just glad I was able to do it with the tools on hand and some floor jacks and jack stands. But now the car is super reliable, runs smooth (other then some idle probs), and has a great suspension (other then the sway bar bushings). Post some pics!

danronian
10-24-2003, 05:23 AM
If I were you I would make sure you dont need a bunch of suspension part before puting money into something that isnt necessary. If an old lady didnt beat the car I would say it is about time for a front suspension rebuild. Mine needed everything in the front end at about 140K and it was driven by teens its whole life through a pothole filled NE PA. But I would seriously do this before blowing money that would come in handy for half shafts and the such. Good luck with it though!

3G Jester
10-24-2003, 06:00 AM
NIce. well it sounds like you got the speaker side covered. lol

as for your 600----rims would probably be a good investment if you want some quick bling.
or....you could get a really good tint for like 100-130. thats the going price up here in CT for a good pro tint. then you could get a set of sway bars and get the parts for a CAI [cold air intake] plus have a few bucks left over to save.

let me tell you....NO ONE likes to do it. but the BEST thing to do with a car is keep 100-300 bucks aside SAVED for a rainy day. you never know when something will break and youll be fucked over with out a car or the money to fix it. our cars are reliable but things do go.
i learned the hard way. Im 18...and to be honest what teenager saves money or keeps some around on hand for emergencies? i got fucked over with a few things a couple times with both cars...one time i had 600 dollars worth of repairs for the 3g and my parents had to cover that one for me...which sucked [an electrical short that need pro work--not a diy]and then a couple 300 $ fixes for the AV6 [accord V6]. which suuucked but cause i could pay for those but it seriously killed my spending moey for a few weeks cause i didnt have any saved....

basically..try to keep a few bucks saved no matter what for car repairs....and if you are saving up for something big then keep that seperate....
anyway....end of rant. but its still a good suggestion.

od2681
10-24-2003, 06:18 AM
welcome to the board ....i remeber those days when i was a newb...wait that was last year..
good score on the old lady accord..old peope are the best places to find good cars..kinda wierd how that works..haha

Vinny
10-24-2003, 06:56 AM
welcome to the board, hope you enjoy your time here. If you need anything search around there's alot of good info to be found. If you search and still don't find anything just ask, I'm sure someone knows the answer

woode
10-24-2003, 10:46 AM
thanks everyone... i think im gonna get it lowered & rims (and maybe a spoiler to make it look a lil cooler..?)

Vinny
10-24-2003, 10:59 AM
spoilers=yes
wings=no

HostileJava
10-24-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Vinny
spoilers=yes
wings=no

:werd:

Try to find a stock spoiler or take one from a 4th gen accord.