PDA

View Full Version : Working On Engine wo/Removing From Car

it's paid for
10-24-2003, 06:52 AM
I want to replace the crankshaft bearings, but I was told two conflicting stories . . . can I do this if I leave the block in the car or not?

I fully realize it will be much easier to do it if the engine is removed, however, I'm just curious if it's possible to replace them wo/removing the engine, & if so, how difficult is it going to be?

Thanks,

IPF

NXRacer
10-24-2003, 07:03 AM
yeah, its possible to do, but it'll be a pain in the ass. having to hold up that heavy ass crank while you install the bearings might be too much for one guy to do underneath a car.

Gregg86DX
10-24-2003, 07:57 AM
I did the rings and rod bearings with the block in the car and it was not too bad. Definitely easier out of the car, but quite doable still in the car.

Gregg

it's paid for
10-24-2003, 11:50 AM
. . . great comments . . . thanks very much . . . here goes . . .

IWLSF
10-24-2003, 07:12 PM
If you're referring to the main caps, just try to do them one at a time first. It might help to loosen all of the caps before starting, so the crank atleast floats down a couple millimeters, giving a little more room for the bearings. Depending on the design, you should be able to just take a flathead and hammer the upper bearing out, letting it come out one side without removing the entire crank. Tap back in with brass punch to reinstall.

BITESIZE
10-24-2003, 08:20 PM
I would take the engine out....would be worth the time....and less chance of fucking up something.

deadlight
10-25-2003, 01:40 AM
Yeah, I'd pull the motor myself, once you do it a few times, it's easy as hell, I can have my motor out in under an hour.