PDA

View Full Version : Removing Axles, HOW HARD IS IT???

PogiLXI
10-24-2003, 05:50 PM
Ive did alot of Searches. but no one has had an straight fwd answer. are taking the Axles out, just remove anything connected to the Axle, and just pull real hard? or is there a special tool that needs the axles removed.

from what I can think off is
1. Take off wheel.
2. take off brake Caliper
3. take off brake discs.
4........???

I dont know where to go after that.

k-roy
10-24-2003, 06:04 PM
Booya, here is the Honda manual. Props to Paul from russia for this one. You don't have to touch the brakes.
http://monolith.projectgamma.com/~kroy/3geez/17-2.JPG
You will need a breaker bar to loosen the spindle nut. I used a fork sytle ball joint seperator, I had to hit it like a mofo to break it loose. I shredded my balljoints in the process. I reccomend the seperator in the pic.

blazin3gen
10-24-2003, 06:24 PM
KROY where where u when i needed that LAST MONTH!!! lol good work kroy and paul!!

PogiLXI
10-24-2003, 07:27 PM
This doesnt look like a do it ur self job? Im goin to give it a try though. I wonder how much it cost for one of them castle nut seperator thingie. and what about the Pry bar for the Axle?? will a screw driver work?

IWLSF
10-24-2003, 07:28 PM
Uh, good luck with a breaker bar since the axle will turn. Unless you have access to a hammer/patience or a damn good impact, dont even bother. A weak impact wont even phase the axle nut. You dont have to remove the brake system either unless the lines are stretched out too far, but that shouldnt happen.

1. Remove wheel.
2. Remove cotter pin.
3. Use impact or take a 1/2" ratchet with socket on nut, and hit with hammer, but it may take a LOT of hits, and break the nut loose.
4. While pulling outwards/sideways on the spindle, hammer point blank on the axle to pop it out of the spindle. If you wish to reuse axle, use rubber mallet or put rags over axle.
5. Twist the spindle sideways to get axle completely out of assembly, may take an extra person to pull hard on assembly.
6. Pry axle @ transmission to get out.
7. Place a type of trans-gel, or if you trust yourself, just place new axle into transmission. Push on outer side of axle to make sure it's in all the way.
8. Yank back spindle, weave axle through assembly.
9. Replace nut, hammer/impact back on, no mercy, made to be super-tight.
10. Replace cotter pin, rebend back out, replace wheel.

PogiLXI
10-24-2003, 07:31 PM
This looks like a pain in the ass, i think im just going to pay someone. or just Grow some Ceahonas and just fookin do it.

blazin3gen
10-24-2003, 07:33 PM
this is how i figured out if i was gonna do it or not

i said to myself if i take this out successfully does that mean im not gonna harm anything else on the car and i said to myself yes i probably will so i took it to get done :D

PogiLXI
10-24-2003, 07:41 PM
yah know? i dont think anything can really get damaged trying to take it out, just trying to get those nuts off, cause all I have is hand tools. and I think ill just take it real easy on my accord, till I get enough money to buy my Talon, and some air tools ( Im going to need it to fix the talon all the time)

Actulay now that I think about it, My Brother has our compressor and Air tools, that fooker, I think im goin to drive up to orlando to grab them, Though I dont know if I wana take my Accord up there with this bad axle. maybe ill just do one of them boot kit thingies before I leave.

IWLSF
10-24-2003, 08:10 PM
Waste of money, waste of time. You could try renting tools from like Oreillys...

BITESIZE
10-24-2003, 08:17 PM
It's really easy, just do it yourself.

k-roy
10-24-2003, 08:17 PM
This can be a do it yourself job if you have the motivation, I did both myself. If you go to Autozone you can use their loan a tool program. Basically you buy it, use it, and they buy it back. To break the spindle nut loose you need a buddy to hold down the brake. If you goto a mechanic they usually charge $100 to $150 per side.
You can get the full manual from www.pauldesign.ru
If you have dialup it will take forever, but its worth the wait. He even seperated the chapters into zip files.
Props to Paul again for the manual.

2old_honda
10-24-2003, 10:18 PM
Hey, if anyone lives near me (Nebraska) I have all the tools to loosen the axle nuts and seperate the balljoints (3/4 drive ratchets, breaker bar, and sockets, 600ft/lb impact wrench, balljoint puller, etc) If you want to come to my house I will help you replace your axles or whatever else needs done.

carotman
10-24-2003, 11:24 PM
I did mine with a 3 foot breaker bar. The axle will not turn.

Unbolting the lower balljoint is a pain in the ass. I prefer to unbolt the upper arm (the whole thing, not the balljoint)

You just got to be careful not to pull on the CV joint... like the book says, it might come apart.

The damper fork is a pain usually

Justin86
10-25-2003, 10:59 AM
I only had a problem with the lower ball joint on the drivers side. That SOB would not come off. Also before you do stuff like this it is a good idea to soak the bolts with a pentrating oil.