PDA

View Full Version : On the strip

BoredRec
06-23-2002, 10:00 AM
Ok, not sure if this post goes into performance, technical, or race stories, so I'll just plunk it down in General.

Went out to the drag strip at the LV Motor Speedway last Friday (woulda wrote yesterday about it, but my computer was down). Every other Friday's now they have open drags, called Midnight Mayhem (to try to stop street racing...but it hasn't). So if your car (or truck or bike) isn't running alcohol you can race. So OF COURSE I had to bring down my 3g, must represent, ya kow! Raced the 1/4 mile three times.

1st run: 18.34s at 74.3 mph
2nd run (best): 18.08s at 76.3 mph
3rd run: 18.12s at 74.7 mph

Not the times I desired, but at least it tells me whats goin on with my car. So of course now I need to do some upgrades to my car before July 5th (next open drags). I'm thinking coil for better throttle response and torque...can anyone agree? Or does anyone else have a better idea (sans motor swap)?

PhydeauX
06-23-2002, 10:13 AM
Try an intake, headers, and exhaust, or what ever part of that will fit into your time constraints and budget.

andy

bass
06-24-2002, 05:15 PM
Since you are looking at a coil for an upgrade, I'm assuming you don't have several hundred dollars to blow on i/h/e. What you should do is lower your front tires to about 25psi and when you race, take off your air filter. Taking out the rear and passenger seats helps alot. With all of this you will run mid 17's. Good luck!

Inabj2
06-24-2002, 05:50 PM
Is there anything wrong with your car? That sounds a second to slow. Assuming you were running an lxi. Maybe something is clogging the engine?

BoredRec
06-24-2002, 09:03 PM
I already have the intake (custom cold air) and muffler (not bigger pipe). Headers is my next option, but I don't have the $300+ for that yet. I can't think of anything being wrong on my car. I've done a tune-up, adjusted valves (tho I am thinking about making them a little looser for higher torque gains, even if they are minimal gains) and changed the timing belt. I also changed the vacuum advance so I can get better advance. Spark plug wires are factory cahnged not too long ago. Thinking about taking out the seats, but the idea of putting that stuff back in later sounds like no fun. So I'm not sure what I want to do yet. Any suggestions on where I'm losing that second?

Inabj2
06-24-2002, 11:39 PM
Up to what revolutions are you taking that car? Maybe.. It takes you an extra second to react? I dont know man id have to see you race. Our cars respond best at 5800 rpm. Thats just shy of the red line.

BoredRec
06-25-2002, 10:47 PM
My reaction time is perfect, but that's just practice.
I think a big problem has to do with gas. Las Vegas gas is shitty. I think next Friday I'll use an octane booster to see if that will help.