PDA

View Full Version : missing/sputtering????????

MR_ACCORD_SI
10-26-2003, 10:22 PM
hey guys i got a 89 se-i accord sedan efi (AUTO!!!):( and everytime i push the accelerator slowly when im im drive the car misses and sputters for a couple seconds and then its fine i wanna know what it is and also i looked under the drivers seat and there is a black box with two plug things goin somewhere with all this wiring so can anyone help me????? cheers

k-roy
10-26-2003, 10:30 PM
Thats the ecu (computer). Try setting the timing, replacing spark plugs and wires, fuel filters etc... Tuneup time.

3rd GEN
10-27-2003, 08:44 AM
how do you check the code on the ECU??

jigga225
10-30-2003, 09:30 PM
also..... replace your fuel filters, check your spark plugs.......

k-roy
10-30-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by jigga225
also..... replace your fuel filters, check your spark plugs.......

Hmmm, I wonder whare I have heard that before...

MrBen
10-30-2003, 09:54 PM
It's good to have 2 meshing opinions. It's not that big of a deal.

slammedLXI
11-02-2003, 08:14 PM
sounnds to me like its time for a tune up!!

plugs, wires, distributer cap, and rotor... that's it! just go down to ur local autozone... u can change all this stuff with simple tools. good luck.

Johnny O
12-28-2003, 01:16 PM
You also need to check our vacumn advanance on your dist.I had the same problem changed everything kept on doing the same thing.It end up being the vacumn advanance on the dist.

shepherd79
12-28-2003, 02:06 PM
to check the ECU for codes, turn your engine and let it idle for a while. or you can do it after a nice drive.
look under/behind the driver seat. you will find small window. pop it open and if you see red light flashes. you have some kind problem.

Sabz5150
12-28-2003, 02:17 PM
Yeah, check your distributor. If it sounds like a dryer full of rocks, then it's time for a new one. Grab a 2gen Prelude one. Be sure it spins freely and with no resistance.

FoX
12-31-2003, 01:01 PM
I had the same problem with my 1988 honda accord lxi... It turns out there are springs on the inside of the distributer and one got to weak and was hitting the casing causing this problem untill 3000 rpm and it stopped. so i went to the junkyard and pulled a prelude distributer and retimed it and now my motor never ran better.

deth101
01-03-2004, 01:19 PM
not to jack ur thread but I'm having same prob and want to know....any 2nd gen lude.....what years is that....is there a diff in auto or man dist?

'A20A3'
01-03-2004, 09:06 PM
Tune-Up.:)

CHonda
04-15-2006, 05:20 PM
hey .. i dont wanna to hi-jack your thread neither BUT my problem is very similar to yours, and how you described it... the weird thing is .. this problem arose after I did my full tune up on my 3g.

I only changed the plugs, wires, rotor, dist. cap., and PCV valve.
I took it for a test drive and it appears as if its missing firing or sputtering because its not accelerating how it use to..

As a test ,while the engine was running, I removed the wires one by one from the plugs to check if all 4 cyclinders were firing... There was a distinct difference in the engine sound when the wire was removed from the plug (i.e. idle speed dropped) ... this was this case for 3 out of the 4 wires/plugs..

Could this be the indicator of my problem..? Does it perhaps mean that all cyclinders are firing except for that one, thus I am getting sputtering and struggling with the car ..?..

Also .. why would this problem occur after a tune-up because it was running
smoothly prior to ?

any ideas or suggestions on what to check or what it may be.... thanx guyz

peaCe out dudez

shepherd79
04-15-2006, 08:14 PM
what kind plugs did you use?
where did you buy all your parts?

CHonda
04-17-2006, 09:08 PM
never mind guys .. turned out one of my new plugs were/got damaged when putting them in, so I replaced it with one of the older ones and it runs good now... thanx for the quik reply ..

ps. i used everything that was recommended from this forum ..

NGK Plugs
NGK Wires
OEM Honda Rotor
OEM Honda Cap
OEM Honda PCV Valve