PDA

View Full Version : Ok clutch qs

AccordEpicenter
10-27-2003, 05:27 PM
Ok guys its been a little while since i had my last 5 speed 3g, and the one i have now i just did the manual conversion and put a new clutch in it etc. This is the question, my 5 speed shifts in and out from 1st to 2nd very easily and smoothly at idle (sitting not goin anywhere) with the clutch pressed to the floor, but when i shift going like 25mph into 2nd or more, (say 35 for a downshift) its a little harder to go into, it doesnt grind but it doesnt slip into place like it does at idle.... What gives? The clutch seems to be adjusted perfectly but it isnt broken in yet. This tranny has been sitting for a few years but it is supposedly low milage... And... Is a slight gear whine in 5th normal? I have 10w30 in it now but want to switch to MTF, will that help significantly?

Vinny
10-27-2003, 05:55 PM
gear whine=bad
Double check your fluid level again for starters. Not to scare you but that hatch I just bought, the one that shelled the tranny, it had a bad gear whine then it just let go. It was also having a hard time going into 5th and downshiting into 4th or 3rd. They haven't taken it apart yet, but a few of us on here think it has a cracked case and was running on lil to no fluid

AccordEpicenter
10-27-2003, 06:14 PM
the fluid is full with fresh 10w30... Its a very very very quiet gear whine, its hard to hear unless youre specifically looking for it... All the gears dont grind, but are occasionally a little tougher to get into than they are when the car is off... im thinking i should recheck stuff when i have like 1k miles on it. Ive only put 150 miles on it

danronian
10-27-2003, 08:28 PM
I make sure to drive my car about an hour a week with the radio off to make sure of no noises and I am sure my 5th gear doesnt whine at all. Even with 153K on the tranny. Anything wrong with 5th it associated with low fluid since it is the highest in the tranny. Even with low miles on the tranny, it could have been ran with low fluid which means a beat 5th gear. If the car only shifts nonsmoothly sometimes it could just be because you arent shifting so that the syncros are aligned perfectly.

AccordEpicenter
10-28-2003, 05:24 AM
well i think the gear whine is gone, i cant hear it anymore and the shifting seems to be getting a little better so ill tough it out and drive it. I think it might be junk in the tranny from having it sit for years like that.