PDA

View Full Version : just make your own c.a.i.

blaztR
10-28-2003, 12:09 AM
of course, i could just go out and buy a friggin intake system, but then i would'nt really be learning anything now would i. besides, i aint got no money anyway. so, now that the truth is out, i'll tell you about my little plan. here it is: im gonna take 3'' grey pvc conduit and either cut it 1' 6" or so, or cut it into sections and use 5-6" wide 1/2 thick hard rubber cylinders for joints and "fenangle" the whole thing down to the bottom, and then simply mounting the air filter of choice, such as one that comes commonly with any cai( watch out, i'm with the C.A.I.) so now i just gotta find some sexy tech looking strong mounting brackets, paint the pvc, slap on one of my logos(or not) and i'll b on my way. it'll be a COLD day in hell when i arrive. anyway Qs or comments would be cool. peeceoutL8R.

k-roy
10-28-2003, 12:35 AM
Sounds liek a good idea. You should read this.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13819

The problem with making a cold air intake on a carbed engine is the fact that the air intake is on the top of the carb, unlike fuel injected Honda's where the air comes infrom the side. You can modify a 88-91 Civic air box and make a intake from there. I do not reccomend PVC because it melts easy and the fumes can be sucked right into the engine. That would be bad. You can do it easily with metal tubing Check this page out: http://www.87accordlxi.com/coldair/coldair.htm
I allready modified a Civic airbox and need to get some piping to finish it off.
As for cost here it goes.
Civic air box: $8 at junkyard.
K&N cone filter: $30-$40
Metal Tubing: $20
Rubber pipe clamps: i dont know yet, less than $20

Good luck!!!

HostileJava
10-28-2003, 12:25 PM
Also using PVC is not the greatest idea either. It gets pretty hot underthere and PVC doesn't dissipate heat like steel or aluminum does. The idea of a cai is to get cold air in.

http://www.hostilejava.com/Personal/aboutpersonal/Album/Car/IMG_2302.jpg

Justin86
10-28-2003, 02:14 PM
Yea get the Civic air box and metal tubing and you will be set.

Mike's89AccordLX
10-28-2003, 03:04 PM
Hey hostile did you use metal cast paint to paint that vacuum box?

And don't use pvc piping. Just wait and do it right.

89accordex4dr
12-23-2005, 05:08 AM
Sorry for digging this old thread out, but with the pvc piping, would painting it with heat resistant paint then painting it crome, reflect the heat if it would be made for a short ram? Just a thought, correct me if i'm wrong.

89se-i
12-23-2005, 09:21 AM
and pvc releases toxic gasses when heated

spnrx
12-23-2005, 09:50 AM
OK I have a carbed engine but the question is still. What would I do with the civic air box? I really wanna do this cause my car being carbed has lost so much HP compared to the EFIs.

SQ is the SQUAD
02-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Also using PVC is not the greatest idea either. It gets pretty hot underthere and PVC doesn't dissipate heat like steel or aluminum does. The idea of a cai is to get cold air in.
http://www.hostilejava.com/Personal/aboutpersonal/Album/Car/IMG_2302.jpg

what cai is this? i am looking to find a complete 2.5 or 2.25 cai pipe setup to use with my turbocharger intercooling piping. i know i can use a civic kit but which one goes down to the front bumper. i know ill have to remove the battery

Vanilla Sky
02-13-2006, 11:51 AM
you can use C-PVC. it's rated at 600*F. it's used for hot water plumbing.

SQ is the SQUAD
02-13-2006, 01:36 PM
yeah, i rather use a stainless pipe for the look. that cold air intake system is that in this pic?

theDougler
02-13-2006, 02:00 PM
i got a civic airbox if you want it. was going to build a CAI for my LX but found a ex-i for cheap. 20bux +shipping and its yours

SQ is the SQUAD
02-13-2006, 03:00 PM
ok, maybe yall dont understand me. i want to buy a civic cold air intake system to use for my intercooler piping. i wanted to know what year civic kit was that pictured above. i am trying to picck up a kit that will have close to all the pieces i need for the cheepest money

theDougler
02-13-2006, 05:28 PM
well i was making a reply to blaztR seeing he has a dx carb and would most likely need a civic airbox if he didn't want to spend fabing one up for a CAI

ghettogeddy
02-13-2006, 06:17 PM
i got a civic airbox if you want it. was going to build a CAI for my LX but found a ex-i for cheap. 20bux +shipping and its yours
how much u think shipping will be to 94509 and will i have to cut my hood to put it in