PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic vs Stainless Steel Header

Project-LXi
10-28-2003, 10:36 AM
Ok, so Im almost done ordering parts for my b18c1, and I am looking for a good header. I have choosen to go w/ DC sports, however Im looking to find what exactly the difference between stainless steel and ceramic is power wise, if there is any difference at all. If it is just looks, then I will get the ceramic one since its nearly $100 difference.

Project-LXi
10-28-2003, 10:38 AM
Oh and also: 4-2-1 or 4-1? I would think 4-1 but I could be mistaken.

NXRacer
10-28-2003, 11:14 AM
why start 2 threads? might as well ask em both in one thread....:rolleyes:

ceramic coated headers are usually normal steel thats been coated with ceramic to help keep the integrity of the steel in good shape so it won't rust/burn out. Stainless headers are more durable and can handle the wear and tear better. depending on the brand, and style 4-2-1 and 4-1 headers perform differently. I believe that 4-1 headers are normall used for race applications because they don't provide as much back pressure like 4-2-1's do which helps a motor that isnt built to the hilt. There is a thread talking more about them somewhere. I think it was discussed in a20's thread about him making custom headers.

Justin86
10-28-2003, 11:19 AM
Also it come down to looks. People with get the stainless steel just because they look better then the ceramic. Performance wise you really will not see a big difference, but it would probably be best to go with 4-2-1

bobafett
10-28-2003, 12:16 PM
if u got a b18c1 ur planning on racing. dont pussy out. just get the race manifold! :D heheheh 4-1 baby!

Project-LXi
10-28-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by NXRacer
why start 2 threads? might as well ask em both in one thread....:rolleyes:

ceramic coated headers are usually normal steel thats been coated with ceramic to help keep the integrity of the steel in good shape so it won't rust/burn out. Stainless headers are more durable and can handle the wear and tear better. depending on the brand, and style 4-2-1 and 4-1 headers perform differently. I believe that 4-1 headers are normall used for race applications because they don't provide as much back pressure like 4-2-1's do which helps a motor that isnt built to the hilt. There is a thread talking more about them somewhere. I think it was discussed in a20's thread about him making custom headers.

Ok, I have done much reseaching, and searching on this site, and I have decided to make a seperate thread about it! 4-1 vs 4-2-1 for the b18c1 that is.