PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Cold Start Ups

HondaBoy
10-28-2003, 09:31 PM
its usually pretty warm here most of the time. but we have had a cold front this week and my car doesnt like it apparently. when i start it up on a regular day, it only has moisture exhaust the first couple of minutes. that meaning it looks kinda foggy due to the extreme dampness(70%-100% humidity most days). anyway, its been quite easy to start these cold days, but it likes to smoke when i first start it up. the smoke doesnt smell like oil, which i was hoping it wasnt. it is basicly like a very very rich unburnt type thing happening. its like the fuel isnt burning in the cylinder. im guessing this could be due to the cold weather messing with my old ass cap and rotor that need to be replaced? or is it my flipped lid? i was thinking maybe that could be it also because its not getting any hot air to warm up the carb and intake from the hot air hose comming from the exhaust heat shield. i have fairly new wires and spark plugs. also, could those plugs need to be gapped, because it knocks sometimes accelerating. it did that on my neon before i got pre gapped plugs. any suggestions? oh, and otherwise, once the engine is warmed up, there is not any sputtering or any other problem.

shepherd79
10-29-2003, 04:00 AM
if the smoke is white, don't worry about it.

HondaBoy
10-29-2003, 04:20 PM
it is, most of the time. but when its lower than about 55 degrees, it seems to misfire and doesnt burn the fuel. it didnt do it today. im thinking its probley something to do with my ignition system somewhere. its all stock and original (17 years old), except for wires and plugs. otherwise, the cap and rotor are original and also the coil.

k-roy
10-29-2003, 04:28 PM
I would change the cap, rotor and Coil If I were you.

DanG86LX
10-29-2003, 07:31 PM
I agree with kroy + check timing!

danronian
10-30-2003, 05:38 AM
I would also try cleaning the throttle body, check for codes, and use some fuel additive injector cleaner to be on the safe side, if you dont currently use it every once in a while.