PDA

View Full Version : A4 Tranny grind R to D or D to R.

DR.ZED
10-29-2003, 10:06 AM
I'm sure some of you have this clunk or grind (depending on tranny fluid temp), going from one direction gear to another.

Would a tranny flush alleviate some of this? What fluid to use?

Thanks in advance.

danronian
10-29-2003, 10:16 AM
My girlfriends taurus clunked until they got it flushed (costs about $100 though). That thing drives like a new tranny now, even with 140K on the 2nd engine.

I wouldnt do it yourself though. Our last family car was an 88 cutlass, we changed the fluid and filter for the tranny and the next day it clunked into every gear. Good luck.

BITESIZE
10-29-2003, 10:31 AM
Usually when the automatic in our cars seems like it is going to die.......it does.

SiR
10-29-2003, 03:07 PM
Flush it out, you might need to more then once after driving it for 5 min after the first time. there is no filter so its a easy, cheap job to do yourself. Try to do it when you just drove the car if you can.

DanG86LX
10-29-2003, 09:19 PM
reverse idler gear ? (http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9857)

k-roy
10-29-2003, 10:28 PM
I got a fix, a 5 speed swap.

DR.ZED
10-30-2003, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by SiR
Flush it out, you might need to more then once after driving it for 5 min after the first time. there is no filter so its a easy, cheap job to do yourself. Try to do it when you just drove the car if you can.

More details on this.

Where is the drain plug, and use Honda ATF?

(apparently guys love that stuff in T56 trannys as well.)

SiR
10-31-2003, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by DR.ZED
More details on this. Where is the drain plug, and use Honda ATF? (apparently guys love that stuff in T56 trannys as well.)

Yea, use Honda ATF for this one. Exchange the fluid and see how it runs. Hopefully it corrects the problem. You might have to do it again if the problem is the same cuz you still have some old fluid in the torqe converter that not able to drain out. Or you can just let the shop flush it all out at once, I hear are very good.

The bolt with the 1/4 hex in the bolt is the drain bolt for the tranny.