PDA

View Full Version : Gas gauge??

Whitie824
06-23-2002, 07:44 PM
Hi this is stupid but, my gas gauge after it gets about a quartank from full will do irritating things.... Like when I out on the brakes the gauge will go down to like half empty and so on and so on, and when I get to a low tank I can never tell how much gas I have. When I accel it goes up. Not a big deal but its hella irratating. Anyone know how to fix this little problem???- Can I get a new gauge... Does everybodys accord do this??

CARBurn
06-23-2002, 07:50 PM
mine does that when it gets low, I just try to keep it above 1/4 tank.

This is good to do anyway, because if you let your tank get below a 1/4 tank, you will probably suck up trash and gunk at the bottom of your tank which will cause hesitation and other performance problems.

89accordlxi
06-23-2002, 08:39 PM
Yeah, I have noticed a similar affect with my car. When accelerating or just driving on the highway, the guage will indicate more than when stopped. So I never know which is the correct reading. I don't know what causes this to happen but it probably has something to do with how the car determines how much gas in the tank. When in motion, the gas must shift to the back of the tank and when stopping, the gas shifts to the front of the tank. So the gas guage never knows exacly how much gas is in the tank. Try this experiment. Drive up a hill and note where the gas guage is. Then Drive down and see what happens. If going up the hill indicates having more gas than going down the hill, than my theory holds true about the gas shifting from front to back. So then that would mean the reading in a stopped position would be the most accurate indication of how much gas the car really has. That is just my theory. Hope this wasn't to confusing.:huh:

I'm out

ACCORD EX
06-24-2002, 08:09 AM
i always keep it above 1/4 tank ! :)

MIKE

1988starter
06-24-2002, 12:00 PM
Mine does that too