PDA

View Full Version : A/C Charged? How can I tell?

it's paid for
10-29-2003, 12:34 PM
Hello - I suspect my a/c is not charged and I'd like to remove it (bought the Accord used and the a/c switch on the dash does nothing) . . .

. . . I'd like to remove the entire a/c system - perhaps putting it in later - but is there a way I can RELIABLY check to make sure it's not under pressure?

OR

Is there a way I can safely remove the pressure from the system myself?

Thanks,

IPF

Vinny
10-29-2003, 12:37 PM
Its technically illegal to vent it. If you depress the valve stem on either the high or low side ports and something other than air comes out its serviced, if its just air then hell with it break it open

it's paid for
10-29-2003, 02:22 PM
Okay . . . this is great . . . I removed the blue cap and depressed the valve stem very gently . . . a little pressure was relieved and then I stopped . . . I sniffed the area to see if I could smell anything other than "air" but no . . . I carefully depressed the valve again and to my surprise, the airflow quickly stopped . . . I'm guessing total venting took maybe 3 1/2 seconds - if that . . .

. . . being totally new to a/c knowledge, I then fitted the blue cap and removed the red cap to see if there was pressure on that end . . . nope . . .

. . . so, can I proceed with ripping out my a/c now?

. . . any special rules?

. . . anyone wanna buy it?

Thanks,

IPF

Mac
10-29-2003, 03:14 PM
Sounds like it was very low on charge. I'm not sure if you would really smell anything. But remember like Vinny said it is illegal to vent freon. Anyway if there is no pressure when you depress the valve, it should be empty. It should be safe to proceed.

Gregg86DX
10-29-2003, 04:21 PM
Your system is discharged. I've seen this on several cars where there is a little bit of pressure but if you open it, it very quickly empties. If there was any meaningful amount of refrigerant in there, it would take quite a while to vent.

Gregg

it's paid for
10-29-2003, 05:17 PM
Okay . . . I have no idea what condition the a/c system is in (no pun, okay) . . . I want to remove the exchanger (? - you know, the radiator looking thing) and all the other crap . . .

. . . would it be worth anything to anyone?

. . . what could I get for it on eBay?

Thanks,

IPF

Gregg86DX
10-29-2003, 09:50 PM
The compressor is probably the most valuable piece, but you want to make sure it turns smoothly (by hand). The condensor might be worth something too. It's kinda hard to say exactly how much. Call some wreckers and see what they get for the parts and search on ebay for similar items. That should give you an idea.

Gregg

it's paid for
10-30-2003, 03:00 AM
Thanks - great suggestions . . . I will do that . . .

. . . this afternoon a friend of mine is letting me use his compression gague (for the cylinders - not the a/c - I'm not that ignorant) . . . let's hope the numbers are good . . .

Happy According,

IPF