PDA

View Full Version : Overfilled Oil?

MilTownSHO
10-29-2003, 07:22 PM
When I had the Accord at the shop I had them change the oil since it was there anyway and they overfilled it by about half a quart! :rant:

Will this do any damage? I don't think it will as long as this doesn't happen continously. The one time I don't change my own oil...:mad:

DanG86LX
10-29-2003, 09:24 PM
or.. overreacting?

Did it myself a couple of times too.

k-roy
10-29-2003, 10:12 PM
It should not do any damage. With that much over it probably did not overfill the pan. When it gets backed up into the engine that is when you have a problem. Just drain a little out and go bitch at the dumbass who did it.
My friend with a 92 Ex Accord had a realy stupid girlfriend. She was driving his car one day and the oil light came on and she freaked out and poured seven quarts into the engine untill it came to the top of the valve cover and drove it for 50 miles. He immediatly drained most of it and it ran another 50k. The only problem that he had was a blown oil pan gasket.

3G Jester
10-29-2003, 10:22 PM
the bolt to drain it is at the bottom of the oil pan facing the rear of the car.

you dont even have to jack your car up if its got stock tires/rims/shocks. the oil pan is the bottom of the enngine block if ya dont know. [its ok we were all n00bs too :P ]
i think the bolt is like 1/2 inch or so. just unscrew it a lil and drain some out into a pan then dispose of it properly. funnel it into an empty soda bottle or clothes degergent bottle. then bring it to your local transfer station/dump or pay a garage to take it for a couple bucks.

2old_honda
10-29-2003, 10:26 PM
just loosen the bolt. If you take it out all the way its hard to get it back in with a stream of oil spewing out the hole. Just loosen it until oil starts leaking out and drain it that way.

danronian
10-30-2003, 05:25 AM
Once before I took a trip in my girlfriend's parents jeep grand cherokee and I figured I'd check the fluids on the inline six. The thing was about 4 quarts overfilled and it went fine the six hours through the mountains going ninety and back. I figured since her dad already makes 120K a year he can afford another, but never a problem. The tranny sucked the whole way though, it was clunking all the time and the car only has 40Kmi on it. Lately I try to overfill the accords oil a little to counteract the massive leaking problems.

Vinny
10-30-2003, 05:36 AM
Half a quart?????? If its that much of a concern to you then heres what ya do.

It just so happens that the spec sheets say it takes 3.5 quarts with a filter change and 3.0 Quarts without. Just drop the filter and drain it, hell change it with a 2 buck fram filter.

I wouldn't suggest taking off the drain bolt unless you wanna play ok I didn't take out enough let me get back under the car and do it again. Ok now I took out too much let me add a lil