PDA

View Full Version : replacing an ac hose....thread sealant?

johnwc723
10-29-2003, 07:23 PM
hey, for any of you guys who have done a/c work, im replacing the tube that goes from the low side valve to the firewall on the passenger side and i was wondering if i can just straight up screw it in or should i use some sort of thread sealant? if so what kind might this be, thanks alot guys!
john

Mac
10-29-2003, 07:32 PM
Just this summer I had my entire a/c apart to change out some parts. When I put it back together I just tightened down the lines with no thread seal. Seems to be good up till now. I would suggest that you change the o-rings.

Vinny
10-29-2003, 07:38 PM
NO thread seal. Just make sure anything you take apart you put new O rings on. An O Ring kit from Honda is like 2 bucks, it took me 2 or 3 to do the entire system. Also, use silicone grease, the same as you use on spark plug boots to lube the o rings and wear rubber gloves when doing the o rings. Oils from your hands and comresor oils draw moisture, which can lead to premature wear of the orings

Mac
10-29-2003, 07:44 PM
Another thing to think about is moisture, like Vinny mentioned. It is recommended that whenever you open a A/C line that you replace the receiver/dryer, and pull a good vacuum to remove all moisture before recharging system.

Gregg86DX
10-29-2003, 09:43 PM
All good advice so far. Definitely lube those o-rings. Personally, I prefer this stuff:

http://www.ackits.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Nylog

Gregg

Mac
10-30-2003, 04:09 AM
Yep, that's what I used. It's real good stuff.