PDA

View Full Version : Lucas oil bad?

niceride
10-30-2003, 03:16 AM
Ok, I just recently changed my oil to mobil1 syn, and added lucas oil stabilizer (man that thing was THICK), thinking it was good after all the raves on this board about the additive and syntech. :burn: Well, this guy did an actual clear window gear test, and I might be moving away from syntech oil's and lucas additives.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

comments?

Has anyone actually done any testing of both syntech and lucas on this board?

I noticed that his test was for trucking oils, would it make a (better) difference with out regular 10w30 oils?

:huh:

shepherd79
10-30-2003, 03:51 AM
hmmm interesting, very interesting.

niceride
10-30-2003, 04:10 AM
http://bobistheoilguy.com/videos.html

Ok it's official for me NO more mobil1 syntech oils or any lucas oils. Damnit, I spent like 40+ dollars on my fluid changes last week, looks like I'll have to flush my crap out and put new fluids in but I gotta wait for pay-day. :wtf:

Can someone host these vid's just incase his site ever goes down, he has some great info. (of course you should ask to use his vids, or put a disclaimer in your link)

*edit*
i'll retract my statment to say i'll move on to Schaeffers syn.

shepherd79
10-30-2003, 04:33 AM
you should not use syntech oil in our engine anyway. i tried to use it one time and my car started to smoke after that. stick with regular oil. syntech oils will not give you any extra HP. they are nothing but BS.

niceride
10-30-2003, 04:58 AM
well, i've learned my lesson, never trust a person's word without him/her having some REAL proof as to what they say.

I've been searching and searching for additives to put in my car because I decided I will keep my 89 lxi instead of saleing her, and I want to make sure my car run's the best stuff to keep the engine and other components running good.

Here's another good lube site I found http://www.oilanalysis.com , bob's site is the best at making a lame person like me understand things though. On a side-note remember the question I posed about auto-rx I've been steady researching this product, and it seems they are actually telling the "truth" that independent test site I gave the guy just finished his 1500m phase 1 cycle and his cylinder psi went up (average of 10 psi), now he's going to do the cleaning cycle.

shepherd79
10-30-2003, 09:35 AM
hmmm very interesting. good info man. keep us updated.

MrBen
10-30-2003, 09:41 AM
Good stuff. Very interesting. For me, I don't care about my engine since it is almost gone. My next engine will be real oil, not synthetic. That's for sure.

1988starter
10-30-2003, 12:34 PM
I have changed my oil may times after running my can and have never sceen anything that looked like that coming out of my engine and I have been running lucas for about 8 months

k-roy
10-30-2003, 12:38 PM
That is an interesting article. I have always been against additives. But I stick to my guns when I say synthetics rule.

Fritz the Cat
10-31-2003, 10:54 AM
Seems that nobody has noticed that Bob is an agent for another brand of oil. And that his less-than-scientific test methods never involve testing Lucas products on his own brand. He tests his brand without additive against another brand with Lucas additive. Doesn't prove anything! Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily sold on Lucas or anything else but this guy has an agenda and his methods are questionable. Talk to your mechanic, mine has actually recommended Lucas additive.

1988starter
10-31-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Fritz the Cat
Seems that nobody has noticed that Bob is an agent for another brand of oil. And that his less-than-scientific test methods never involve testing Lucas products on his own brand. He tests his brand without additive against another brand with Lucas additive. Doesn't prove anything! Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily sold on Lucas or anything else but this guy has an agenda and his methods are questionable. Talk to your mechanic, mine has actually recommended Lucas additive.

So did mine and he also used it in his sprint car. Besides I know it did wonders for my tranny when the syncros were going.

joker2
11-01-2003, 06:29 AM
I use all Lucas products and won't use anything else..... It's kind of funny that he doesn't factor in extreme heat..... Even if Lucas does look like that during startup, it certainly won't after a good minute of engine warming and that's were it really counts....

1988starter
11-01-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by joker2
I use all Lucas products and won't use anything else..... It's kind of funny that he doesn't factor in extreme heat..... Even if Lucas does look like that during startup, it certainly won't after a good minute of engine warming and that's were it really counts....

True lucas really is a great product and I will still recoment it to everyone I meet esp. the tranny stuff.

AccordEpicenter
11-02-2003, 04:47 PM
ive heard that for this reason you shouldnt use synthetic in gearboxes... Good synthetic for engines is good stuff tho. It stays cleaner and burns very clean, youll never see any smoke with sythetic oil, but thats with only the pure sythetics. There is no point to mix synthetic oil and lucas.