PDA

View Full Version : Rattley break?

biggybaz
10-30-2003, 01:44 PM
hey guys my 89 aerodeck seems to have a rattle when i am driving on rough roads, but it stops when i put my foot on the break. has anyone got any info on this as i have been told by my machanic the i need a new caliper and it gonna cost £200. is he lying?

k-roy
10-30-2003, 02:05 PM
That sounds correct. Do the job yourself, its not too difficult if you have a jack, jackstand and wrenches. The tricky part is bleeding the brakes. You can get 2 new calipers, rotors and pads for the price that the mechanic will charge you just to fix the problem.

No fair, I want an Aerodeck! They never brought it here to America. Bastards.

biggybaz
10-30-2003, 02:22 PM
Cheers my man i might need some help closer to the date when i do it though. sorry they didnt take the aerodeck to america, ever thought of importing one? at the moment i am looking for a EXi automatic, if i find one i will be selling my EX. i will let you know

biggybaz
10-30-2003, 02:31 PM
P.S. Any info you have on bleading the breaks i would be gratful if you posted it.

k-roy
10-30-2003, 03:04 PM
I just might have to import one. How many Euros are they going for theese days? A right hand drive onw would be cool.

Here is the manual on brake bleeding.
http://monolith.projectgamma.com/~kroy/3geez/20-3.JPG

I hate bleeding brakes. I found a way to do it very easily.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21740&highlight=greatest+invention+ever

k-roy
10-30-2003, 03:05 PM
Oh yea, props to Paul from russia again for the manual. You can get the whole thing from www.pauldesign.ru

Gregg86DX
10-30-2003, 03:20 PM
Since I just did my brakes recently, I'll just share some of the specifics of how I bled mine.

First it's easier if you get all 4 wheels off the ground with the car on jack stands.

1. Remove all 4 wheels
2. Get about 2-3 feet of 3/16" clear vinyl tubing (different sizes may work)
3. Get a jar or can to hold old brake fluid.
4. Make sure you brake fluid reservoir is full
5. Starting at the left front wheel, clean and loosen the bleeder valve slightly. Attach the vinyl hose to the bleeder and run the other end into the jar.
6. Have someone push on the brakes while you open the bleeder valve enough to let air and fluid out. When the brake pedal is on the floor, tighten the bleeder and have the person release the brake.
7. Repeat step 6 until there are no more air bubbles coming out of the bleeder.
8. Check your brake fluid reservoir and fill as needed.
9. Move to right rear wheel and repeat steps 6, 7, 8.
10. Same for right front and finally left rear.

Whatever you do, don't let the fluid in the reservoir run dry, or else you have to start all over.

Good luck,

Gregg