PDA

View Full Version : A/F gauge for carb 86

Magny
10-30-2003, 04:05 PM
I am thinkin about getting a A/F gauge or just makin one myself, but since it needs to go into the Comp. under the seat, what wire is it for the O2 sensor. I need to know so I can tap into the right one. Also since my computer is carbed, why the hell do I have a computer anyways. I thought it was for FI that needed comps. When I unplug it, it doesn't change a thing with peformance on my car, its like its a dummy comp or something. Either that or they set it there with the pre-setup wires so I can swap it for a EFI system. I got alot of wires unplugged just about in my engine bay. I tied them up and moved them away so I don't screw the engine.

And since my car does have a O2 sensor do I connect it to the wire coming out of the sensor( mechanical) or do I do it to the comp. (electrical)???

HHEELLPP!!!!

shepherd79
10-30-2003, 06:20 PM
the computer under the seat controls the black box under the hood plus some other little things around the car.
A/F gauge on the carb model will do little and tell you very little unless you are going with weber and you need the gauge to tune the carb right way.
if you have stock carb, don't waist your money.

k-roy
11-03-2003, 06:17 PM
Whats wrong with an A/F guage on a stock carb? The more you know about how the car is running the better.

You can get a gauge with a sensor and a bung for the sensor from summitracing for about $60. Then you do not have to worry about throwing off the voltage to the ecu. All you have to do is have the bung welded into the downpipe and tap into a power wire, like the cigarette lighter.

POS carb
11-10-2003, 11:29 AM
it helps in diagnosing problems, he just meant that with the Keihin your hands are tied b/c you can only adjust the idle mixture or the air correction in the secondary barrel.
As for the computer, it is there to regulate the carb. The carb works by itself, however the millions (exaggerating) of vacuum hoses are all connected to various solenoids that need a computer to tell them when to open and close. Disconnecting the ecu may not cause the car to turn off but it would cause drivability problems. One thing that is necessary for the car to run is the slow-mixture cut-off solenoid. If this is disconnected the car will run but won't idle at all, kind of like someone turned the key off below 1000 RPM

Magny
12-04-2003, 10:29 AM
I still don't know about that computer box down there but I'll tell ya that I haven't had a damn problem with it off for the last 3 months. Don't know about the drivability problem you speak of cause it still runs the same with or with out it. Turns off just fine too.

accord upset
11-08-2006, 08:44 AM
i have the weber for my 86 4 door and i really think that the lil eculike box under the driver's seat does nothing for me but like someone said it controls the vacume black box under the hood and some of the selonoids for the vacume controls,,, of witch i have none of so???? anyway i just tied the wire from the gauge in under the hood next to where you hook up the o2 sensor i got diffrent reading at the o2sensor than i did further down the wireing harness near the ecu so i went with the one closest to the sensor(never know if the wireings fuked up somewhere inbetween the sensor and computer)

A20A1
11-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Get a wide-band sensor and A/F gauge, and a pacesetter header or a stock EFI exhaust manifold and A-pipe.

That way you have two sensor ports. Don't try to tap into the stock sensor... if you do it right it's still not that accurate. If you do it wrong you'll get odd readings or no readings.