PDA

View Full Version : Radio Question!

adams86lxi
10-30-2003, 07:10 PM
we installed my new deck,speakers,subs, amp, and wiring about a week ago. I noticed today i was listening to the radio and i pushed the button to put the inttena up and as soon as i pushed it the radio turned off and then turned back on. I also noticed that when i turned the fan on for the heater the radio does the same thing. Does any one know what is causing it.

BTW: IT dosent do this if i just have the key on the on positon. It only does this when the car is actually running! THANKS!

Mac
10-30-2003, 07:18 PM
How did you hook up the ground wire for the Head Unit? Did you splice it into an existing wire or run it directly to metal?

adams86lxi
10-30-2003, 08:16 PM
We connected the ground to the old head units ground wire.

pimp86LX
10-30-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by adams86lxi
We connected the ground to the old head units ground wire.

hmm wierd problem

for my head unit, i ran both power and ground right from the battery (fused of course)

catalin
10-30-2003, 10:34 PM
Everything else ok?? Like the headlights, interior lights, fan speed?? are they working well??

Mac
10-31-2003, 12:34 PM
OK, you said that you hooked up to the old head unit's wiring. Was the old HU the original Honda radio or an aftermarket radio?

k-roy
10-31-2003, 12:52 PM
You may have a low charge on the battery or the alternator is going bad.

adams86lxi
10-31-2003, 05:51 PM
I think everything else is working fine i will check later its raining really hard right now. The old head unit was a sony tape deck but we cut off the old wiring harness to the old deck and just connected everthing without a harness,except we left the old ground cable the same.

adams86lxi
10-31-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by kroy
You may have a low charge on the battery or the alternator is going bad.

Thats what i thought too at first,would the battery do that if the car is still on though? or could it be the alternator we changed it a few years back though.

Lt99
10-31-2003, 06:06 PM
Well I used to do installs and sounds like a wiring problem ...

Check your wiring ..it is very easy to have a wire grounding out when u turn on your antenna.
1. make sure any wire that is not being used has been cut and taped off.

2 .Make sure you have not scratched of the covering on any wire when u puched the deck back into the dash..

3. Check all your connections maybe something is hooked up in the wrong place. Becasue is sound like when u hit the antena or heater controls a wire it is sending current back to the radio which is causing it to shut off.

4. if all else fails find u a plce on your fusebox and move your power wires becauase apparently your radio does not like being on the same circuit with everything else.

Mac
10-31-2003, 06:40 PM
Ok you should go back and check your connections.

Car Wires ------------- Radio

White/Yellow-to memory (usually Yellow) on radio.
Yellow/Red- to 12v pwr (usuually Red) on radio.
Red/Black- to lighting (usually orange) on radio.
Black- to grd (usually Black) on radio.

I would try hooking the ground wire from the radio to a ground instead of the wire that it is spliced to.

Mac
10-31-2003, 06:57 PM
I just went back and read your original post again. As mentioned above you might want to check your alternator. Check all connections to alternator and battery and make sure they are clean and tight. Also check the condition and tension of your alternator belt.

If you have a volt meter, put it on the battery and run the engine. It should read at least 13.75 volts. Then start turning things on (lights, heater etc.) Make sure that the voltage doesn't drop off too much.

adams86lxi
10-31-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Mac
I just went back and read your original post again. As mentioned above you might want to check your alternator. Check all connections to alternator and battery and make sure they are clean and tight. Also check the condition and tension of your alternator belt.

If you have a volt meter, put it on the battery and run the engine. It should read at least 13.75 volts. Then start turning things on (lights, heater etc.) Make sure that the voltage doesn't drop off too much.

Alright thanks i will check out that tommorow. I was driving over to my freinds house a little bit ago and the heater fan wouldnt turn on (just started doing this) so i just left the switch on high, and when i stoped at his house and turned my headlights off the heater fan then turned on. The car is acting like it only wants to run one thing in the car at a time! This is just getting weirder.:burn:

Mac
11-01-2003, 06:57 AM
Yep, it's sounds more like an electrical problem than a radio problem. Check those connections and belt.

adams86lxi
11-01-2003, 12:50 PM
I checked the volt meter and it was fine. My dad said i might be the ignition switch and i think that is the problem. We were driving the car trying to see if we could get the heater fan and the radio to work at the same time(actually anything to work at the same time). He wiggled the key in the igniton and the heater turned on then we checked everything else. If anything didnt work in it we just jiggled the key and it seemed to work. We must need a new igniton. Thanks for all your help though!

dXsquared
11-01-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by pimp86LX

for my head unit, i ran both power and ground right from the battery (fused of course)

you ran a fused ground wire to the battery?!?!

pimp86LX
11-01-2003, 01:39 PM
yes....yes thats what i did :eek:

I ran the POWER wire to the batter, fused. the ground goes to the stock radio ground in the wiring harness

sorry bout the mis-communication

kelli217
11-07-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by kroy
You may have a low charge on the battery or the alternator is going bad. I agree with Kroy. This was the first sign that my alternator was going bad -- at least, the first sign that couldn't be attributed to something else.