PDA

View Full Version : B16A swap in Houston?

Robs89LXi
10-31-2003, 02:03 AM
Is there anyone on this board who lives in Houston, TX and has actually done a B16A swap into a 3G Accord? How about a B20 swap?

Dibbs
11-03-2003, 11:45 AM
Good luck. I can hardly find a decent engine importer much less find a decent engine. If a b16 is all you're lookikng for, go with a b20a. There's much less of a headache since the engine uses factory mounts. I found a b20a at a place called Japan Auto Engines. They got one by accident a long time ago. It's missing the intake manifold, exhaust manifold and tranny. But he offered it to me for $400. The intake and exhaust manifolds are doable, but you're gonna have to search for the tranny b/c you can't use the b20a5 tranny.

Robs89LXi
11-03-2003, 12:50 PM
Yeah, I haven't actually started looking locally yet, just piddling around on the net. Did you buy that B20A you found? If not, is it still for sale? If you are not gonna get it, let me know 'cause I might be interested. I'm not quite ready for a swap yet, but would like to start getting the pieces I need together. I'd still like to get together with the other Texas 3Geerz too, so let me know if you guys ever decide to meet. Sounds like we ought to wait until everyone is up and running though :tongue: .

Dibbs
11-04-2003, 07:23 AM
Yeah, go ahead and get that engine. The number is 713-699-9888. THe guy has a heavy accent so listen cerefully. Ask about the 1st gen b20a engine. That's what he called it. He'll tell you that he can guarantee you that a b20a5 tranny will work but don't believe him. The b20a leans forward in the engine bay and the b20a5 leans back so the angle on the b20a5 tranny will be wrong and you'll have problems with your axles lining up even if the tranny bolts up to the engine which I'm still not sure of.

Robs89LXi
11-04-2003, 09:40 AM
Yeah, thanks. I called him, and yep, he only had the B20A5 tranny, so I think I'm gonna pass. While it's tempting, I'd rather wait and try to find a package deal. Sounds like those transmissions are all but extinct, so I'd rather not get stuck with just a block. Appreciate the info though.

wprocomp
11-04-2003, 10:52 AM
I dont think there are any swaped accords in texas that I know of...I am eventually going to get another accord with efi and do a swap just to see how it runs...but it will mosyt likly be a circut racer

Dibbs
11-04-2003, 11:22 AM
Yeah, none that I know of. I'm not sure if I'm gonna pursue the B20A or not. With all the work Sean has done with the A20A, I think I might be more interested in an A20A build-up. I've got a stripped, cleaned and milled A20A oiled down and shrinkwrapped. I think she's just begging for all of Sean's goodies. All I'm really waiting on is for him to work out his power transmission issues, finish his head project and put it all to work and see if anything else (axles) breaks from the insane amounts of power.

cdixon311
12-11-2003, 07:26 PM
I live in Houston and plan on putting a b20a in my 89 eventually. I'd like to know how it works out for you.

wprocomp
12-11-2003, 07:29 PM
welcome to the board fellow texan...dont mind the others...they all have PMS:wave: