PDA

View Full Version : Phase I . . . almost

it's paid for
10-31-2003, 09:33 PM
So, I warmed up the engine and drained the oil and began to remove the A/C system . . . I'm going where I've never been before . . . this first phase really wasn't too bad . . . I can't believe how totally black my hands were . . . probably took me 10 minutes washing them with Zep citrus (now I guess I'll get cancer for that :rolleyes: ) . . .

Anyway, the a/c is almost out of the engine . . . I think I'll just cap off the ends that go inside to the passenger compartment . . . I love the "hole" where my a/c pump used to be . . . already lookin' better . . . picked up a flourescent shop light, creeper, torque wrench (the good kind) and a pair of stands . . .

. . . some photos . . . tomorrow I'll hopefully have the head off . . . I guessed at most of the prices . . . I guess it's pretty stupid to spend ~$2,500 on an old 2G . . . but I love that car . . . must be a sickness . . .

http://www.bloomyourbusiness.com/honda/phase_01_01.jpg

http://www.bloomyourbusiness.com/honda/phase_01_02.jpg

http://www.bloomyourbusiness.com/honda/phase_01_03.jpg

http://www.bloomyourbusiness.com/honda/honda_projected_expenses_01.gif

shepherd79
11-01-2003, 05:30 AM
when i saw the picture of the engine bay, i was wondering why it didn't look like 3geez.
nice job.
your car should be about 50-80lb lighter right now.

MilTownSHO
11-03-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by it's paid for
I guess it's pretty stupid to spend ~$2,500 on an old 2G . . . but I love that car . . . must be a sickness . . .

Don't worry I'm the same way with my SHO, everyone has there own thing!:super:

AccordArizona89
11-03-2003, 02:47 PM
that accord is OLD SCHOOL

k-roy
11-03-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by AccordArizona89
that accord is OLD SCHOOL

Your Accord is OLD SCHOOL!:stick:

wprocomp
11-03-2003, 07:09 PM
wow man looks like its coming together well...I dont see too many 2g accords any more but all the more to ya for putting one together...any performance mods planned?

k-roy
11-03-2003, 07:13 PM
Pimp that shit out. its a good clean Old Honda. All the crap that anyone on this board will give you will just be a repeat of what has been said about a 3g.

3G Jester
11-03-2003, 07:17 PM
what hte hell did you do with all the freon?!!??!?
or whatever the coolant shit is? not the antifreez but the other stuff the stuff you need professional removal for?!?

k-roy
11-03-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by 3g Jester
what hte hell did you do with all the freon?!!??!?

Put it in a glass with Ice and drink up. :smokin:

it's paid for
11-04-2003, 02:41 PM
...any performance mods planned? Actually, yes . . . I'm going to make it a sleeper . . . except for the 17" rims going on it, it'll look pretty stock . . . one of these will be under the hood in two years . . . somehow . . . :) . . . and yeah, I know this makes no sense whatsoever . . . but that's okay, I love it . . . http://www.bloomyourbusiness.com/honda/B20_engine.jpg

. . . okay, maybe the flames and the bump in the hood will give it away . . . ;)

deadlight
11-04-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by kroy
Put it in a glass with Ice and drink up. :smokin:

It tastes like burning...

RustyHo88
11-05-2003, 08:47 AM
so your going to turn the 2g into a sleeper ... with the stock engine? props on the planning. have you considered a weber? i know the 84-85 use the same carb weber carb for conversion as the 86-89, there are just different base plates. a carb conversion would be awesome. but... thats just a thought. dont worry about being one of the few 2g owners on the board... one day, we shall rule the world!

btw... is that engine pic you posted the same engine from a 90-93 accord? if so.. then you stole my idea!

Vinny
11-05-2003, 08:52 AM
wtf engine is that??????????

Is it me or do I see 4 pistons, 7 valves on the front side and only 3 fuel injectors:rolleyes:

it's paid for
11-05-2003, 09:57 AM
It's supposed to be a B20A or something like that . . . 4 valves per cyl, fuel injection, VTEC crap . . . stock, I think it's supposed to dyno around 170 hp . . . that's only double what mine is . . . should be fun, eh?

And yeah, I'll redo the suspension & drop it a wee bit . . . :)

adams86lxi
11-05-2003, 07:58 PM
Thats the b20 that everyone here wants to put in their accord. 160 hp 143 ft pounds of torque. It came in some of the accords in the 80s from 85 to 89, in japan only. FIGURES!

it's paid for
11-06-2003, 05:13 AM
. . . in japan only

Yeah, but you can still get them over here if you look . . . I guess I could also toss in an Acura VTEC engine - about the same thing, right?

adams86lxi
11-07-2003, 05:03 PM
o i know you can find them over here. Their just kinda rare because every one confuses them with the prelude b20a.

I think the acura integra engine would be alot harder to get to work!
I would go with the b20, if you can figure out a way for it to work!

good luck!

MilTownSHO
11-10-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by deadlight
It tastes like burning...

HAHAHAHA Ralph!:lol

k-roy
11-10-2003, 09:39 AM
So it's paid for,
Do you have any updates on your project? I hope you can figure that vacuum removal like I did. It just takes some vacuum plugs and patience. I would like to see pics of the interior and some nice outdoor shots. The one I worked on was a total beater. I can not honestly say I have seen a clean 2G in my adult life.

it's paid for
11-10-2003, 02:48 PM
WARNING . . . the following story may be too nauseating for some . . . if you have a weak stomach, do not read any further . . .

Update . . . I was yanking off the vacuum lines & tons of vacuum line-related items last Saturday . . . really trying carefully to remove one of the zillion rubber hoses - this one going to my carb on the left side of the car - I ripped it off by mistake, instead of just removing it undamaged - it was now in two pieces - YIPE! . . . then I thought about this link:

one guy removing vacuum lines from a carb'd 3G (http://members.fortunecity.com/accordex87/how_to_remove_the_vacuum_lines.htm)

. . . and something inside me just said "oh well" and so

I began a snipping frenzy - all the other rubber hoses associated with the vacuum line system were getting severed quicker than you could say "Dang you're gonna regret doing that" . . . snip this, snip that, here a snip, there a snip, everywhere a snip-snip . . .

. . . so . . . now, not only am I curious if I'll ever get the other stuff done right (valve job, rings, et cetera) but now I face the possibility my carburetion may never be the same even if I do manage to fix all the other stuff . . . worse comes to worse, I guess I could buy some new rubber hoses and connect it back together . . . but I'd much rather plug stuff up and get it running without all the unnecessary vacuum hoses . . . I'll just have to make it work, & that's all there is to it . . . I feel myself getting deeper & deeper into . . . this . . . mess . . . the feeling of miseralbe hopelessness is nearly overpowering my belief in myself to someday have my little 2G running again . . . visions of having it towed out of my garage only to end up rusting in a junk yard are difficult to surpress . . .

. . . I'm desperately hoping I'll have at least 6 hours this weekend to finish removing the head so I can inspect the cylinders and make an assessment how far I'm going to go with this project . . . I would be totally surprised if the rings didn't need replacing but I'm still going to hope I can get by with just doing the head for now and get the rings done later . . .

. . . I've heard & considered both sides of the story - to do the top and rings at the same time - vs. doing them separately . . . . time, money & dedication . . . I don't have much of either of these three . . . oh yeah, know how also should get tossed in . . .

. . . I am making lots of photos (thank goodness for digital cameras) and I'm also doing the stupid little things amatuers do like putting fasteners in labeled envelopes . . . I'm trying to keep the workplace clean - floor, tools & so forth . . .

. . . BTW - my 2G isn't in fabulous condition . . . there are a few minor dings on the body (99.999% rust-free) and the interior has some obvious wear (very minor) but I think the body is in "perfect" condition - not too nice to worry about when I park it at WalMart, yet not so banged up so it looks like I usually take three hits of crack before breakfast . . .

. . . I will continue . . . I acknowledge progress is slow . . . perhaps, I should change my user name to "glacier" which accurately reflects my speed of working on the car - certainly not my driving speed . . . :super:

Happy Honda-ing,

IPF

k-roy
11-10-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by it's paid for

"Dang you're gonna regret doing that"[/COLOR] . . . snip this, snip that, here a snip, there a snip, everywhere a snip-snip . . .
IPF [/B]

You sound like me man. If I were you I would have done the vacuum thing after I got it running. I don't like to get into a dozen little projects at once. Its more easy to screw things up that way. A weber carb will take care of most vacuum issues, but kill the mileage. But anyways if you ever do give up send me a PM. I have a truck for towing, in fact I towed a 2g with that truck once. Georgia is not far from me and I would love to have a clean 2G, running or not.:)

it's paid for
11-10-2003, 05:34 PM
. . . here's carnage photos . . . some useless stuff . . . http://www.bloomyourbusiness.com/honda/vacuum_stuff_01.jpg

. . . and . . .

http://www.bloomyourbusiness.com/honda/vacuum_stuff_02.jpg

. . . perhaps I can get a buck or two for this crap on eBay? :rolleyes:

http://www.bloomyourbusiness.com/honda/vacuum_stuff_03.jpg

. . . this is fun . . .2

Morpheus
11-10-2003, 06:30 PM
I think it would be much too hard for that thing to push 17's.

zero.counter
11-10-2003, 06:58 PM
Wow, I hope that the car makes it out of the operation. Good Luck!

RustyHo88
11-11-2003, 05:56 AM
when you are all done, you should think about making a vavuum line removal how to for the 2g in the how to section. that would make my day. :D

'how to' section
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11067

(i dont feel like making a link)