PDA

View Full Version : Trim Outer Layer Removal

drknow
11-02-2003, 05:24 PM
You know the trim around the windows. Mine is metal with a thick coat of black rubber or something over it. The rubber is cracked, and the metal shines through all over it. I tried removing it, but it wouldnt come off. How can I fix the cracks or remove the rubber.

MrBen
11-02-2003, 05:29 PM
Get a razor blade and score where you want the peeling to stop. Then scrape it all off. What I used was this roofing scraper thing, it looks like a T, with the top part being a razor blade. It worked great. After I scraped it all off, I used Goof Off to clean the bare metal and lightly sanded everything, then wiped it down again. Then I painted it with 3 coats of black paint (after masking everything off with tape and newspaper), and applied a rubber clear coat. It looks great!

drknow
11-02-2003, 06:40 PM
Wow....Sounds great. I think ill give it a try.

johndej
11-02-2003, 06:52 PM
hmm........ i just cut mine off and left it. i like the way the chrome looks.

drknow
11-02-2003, 06:55 PM
ill see how it looks.

MrBen
11-02-2003, 07:07 PM
Sure, leave it if you like big cuts and discolorations in your chrome.

johndej
11-02-2003, 07:11 PM
how will it mess up the chrome? its been the way it is (peeled off) for over a year and a 1/2 now and it looks fine.

MrBen
11-02-2003, 07:14 PM
I didn't say it would. When I peeled mine off there were big discolorations in the chrome from the black rubber cracking. Then there were ugly scrapes and cuts in the chrome from scraping it off. All around, it looked like crapola and I wouldn't leave it like that. But that's just me.

HostileJava
11-03-2003, 07:22 AM
When I cut mine off there was no discoloration and I was real careful so there were to makes in the chrome from scraping( i just used a razor and kept the surface wet).

Micah 89LXi
11-04-2003, 01:43 AM
you did all that and u call your car ghetto?

k-roy
11-04-2003, 07:23 AM
I did that to my car and it made it look much better. It was worth the 2 hours with the utility knife.

MrBen
11-04-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Micah 89LXi
you did all that and u call your car ghetto?

It used to be ghetto before I poured all my time in it and cleaned it, did body work, and had things fixed on it. Now I wouldn't say it's ghetto, just old. I guarantee the interior is cleaner than anyone elses 3g on the board.

89accord_lxi_coupe
11-05-2003, 08:29 AM
i started to get all that black off, but it seemed like i was scraping off the part that holds the rear window glass in. for the chrome, i figured cleaning it off and sanding a little, then going over it with chrome spray and a clear would fix any imperfections. if you like your car enough, you would spend the time. am i right?

k-roy
11-05-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by GhettoAccord
I guarantee the interior is cleaner than anyone elses 3g on the board.

Are you willing to bet money on that?:D

Thats cool. I have put a lot of time into turning my car into something somewhat nice. I need to redo the headliner and door panels. Last week some hick guessed my car was a 95, he was suprised when I corrected him and I pointed out a real 95 Accord that looked like crap in a parking lot.

NXRacer
11-05-2003, 11:35 AM
another way to do it is get a hair dryer and loosen it up. it'll make it easier to get the black crap off.