PDA

View Full Version : Puff

MrBen
11-03-2003, 06:58 PM
I have asked this question before but things have changed.

When I take off at stoplights, puffs of blue color smoke come out. Doesn't do it while driving, just when it sits for like 20 seconds. Sometimes on startup greyish smoke will come out, but I haven't been able to figure out when it does this. Only sometimes. And yes I know that the blue smoke is oil.

Me being broke, I don't have the money for a new engine. I don't want mom and dad to buy me a new one either if I can get by with just fixing the problem. What is the fix that will fix this? I do not want to rebuild or get a new engine unless that is inevitable.

Leviathant
11-03-2003, 08:48 PM
Hmmm... How religious are you with oil changes? On that topic, are you burning a lot of oil? When my old Dodge Colt started burning enough oil that I needed to keep a case in my trunk, it ended up being the straw that broke the camels back, and since the problem was not going to go away without a rebuild/new engine, I just bought a new car.

Hehe, not to add to the good news, but my wife just added, "My car did that, then it died. It was spectacular!" She had a much worse problem than the occasional puff, though. It was pretty spectacular, the kind of thing where when her car sat at a light, it pretty much created its own smoke screen. It lasted about three more (driving) hours.

I'm trying to recall other cases where I've dealt with this. In each case, you're pretty much going to have to get dirty with the engine.

zero.counter
11-03-2003, 08:52 PM
Check the compression for oil burning past the piston rings. Check the radiator for usual signs of headgasket leaks.

MrBen
11-03-2003, 08:56 PM
I am really religious with oil changes. I have it changed every 3,000 miles. However, I don't know about the owner before me as he did not give me any service records. I am sure it wouldn't have lasted this long if the oil changes weren't semi regular. It has almost 250,000 miles on it. Outside of the puffs, it runs great and has more pickup than my mom's 88 Accord which has been thouroughly maintained since the day it was bought.

I had a compression test about a year ago and he said it was fine. Maybe things have changed since then; I've noticed the puffs within the past 6 months or so. It's pretty embarrassing at stoplights.

zero.counter
11-03-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by GhettoAccord
It's pretty embarrassing at stoplights.
I hear ya bro. I had to replace the ring set because #2 and #4 were leaking.

shepherd79
11-04-2003, 03:43 AM
ok here is the lay out for types of smoke:
blue smoke: your valve steam seals worn out or your valve guides. in your case it is valve steam seals.
black smoke: you are running rich mixture.
grey smoke: say hello to a new piston rings.