PDA

View Full Version : car wont starrt sometimes...

od2681
11-04-2003, 01:25 PM
ok guys it hapend again today...right when im bout to leave college..car wont start..it would crank but wouldnt ignite.....after about 10 mins it did....
i checked to see if the current was coming and it was...well checkd that 4 days ago cuzz it did the same thing.....
took it to my mech..he said that it could be the fuel pump .
dad says it might be but it could also be other stuff...
when ever the car does this..and starts later..i always smell gas...
well that is all of the symptoms i can tell you all about...
injectors have been changed....cleaned the fuel pressure regulator...fuel filter is new...
so what can it be...
i need help people

Dibbs
11-04-2003, 01:47 PM
Done a tune up lately? Is there a strong gas smell when you try to start it?

od2681
11-04-2003, 02:17 PM
there is no smell when trying to start..but smell after it..but not always..only wehn the car does this crap

od2681
11-04-2003, 07:31 PM
no one gona help out a veteran 3geez member ...i see how it is...cmon help pullleeeeassee...im beggin ya

danronian
11-04-2003, 07:58 PM
Does your engine puff out smoke at startup? If so oil in the cylinders from leaking valve seals could be slowing startup. Maybe a problem with the coil, and maybe old spark plugs. Sounds like it could be a fuel pump relay also. Check for ecu codes also. Also clean the throttle body with some tb cleaner to be safe.

od2681
11-04-2003, 09:38 PM
no it doest smoke...i will try to check the fuel pump with the help of my dad ..he says it can be checked...and the ecu code has been trhwoin out for the egr since time began but even after i changed the egr..but no problems there cuzz the car runs fine...i will try cleanin the throttle body cuz i hvae that stuff at home and have done that often..just changed sparkplugs like a 1000 miles ago

A20A1
11-05-2003, 07:32 PM
You know what I just had the same thing where the car would crank but not ignite... I never thought it would be because of the key ignition switch but I jiggled the key and the radio came on and then I turned it to start and it fired right up.

I knew that some ignition switches go bad overtime (some due to heavy key chains)... but I assumed the car wouldn't crank at all if that was the case.

Leviathant
11-06-2003, 08:21 AM
My car's in the shop getting a new ignition switch at the moment. It had a problem starting, where it would crank but never keep. The car also had a random tendency to stall.

I cleaned the hell out of the carbs, replaced the spark plugs & wires, changed the fuel filter, tried all sorts of things. I'll let you know if that solves my problem, but I'd try the ignition switch.

greekguy7
11-07-2003, 08:06 AM
I got an LXi with 235k miles on it... the 3 times I had a similar issue it turned out to be either my cap and rotor.... or my plug wires. If either have not been recently replaced, I would change that!!!

danronian
11-08-2003, 09:49 PM
Mine has a problem stalling right after it starts and I think it is a problem with the brake pedal sensor. Anyone every have trouble with this?