PDA

View Full Version : Runs on 3 cyls and burns oil on Cold Starts!

BootMachine
11-05-2003, 12:14 PM
When I start my car in the morning, it runs on 3 cyls for a while and burns a-lot of oil until it warms up.

Has anyone had this exact problem.

Here is what I know!

- compression is OK...145PSI in all cyls across the board...so the rings are good and so is the head gasket

- new wires

- new plugs

- new cap and rotor

Do you think its a distributor problem causing the engine to run on three cyls ???

I think...cause i can hear a backfire when its going on 3 cyls...that there IS spark there. AND because I'm leaking oil but not from the block...it must be comming from the head!

SO....what I think is there is an exhaust valve that sticks open causing the engine to run on 3 cyls when its cold and the valve stem seal is fawked causing oil to drip down from the head and pool in the bowl of the port!

ANY comments and suggestions would be appreciated!

shepherd79
11-05-2003, 05:43 PM
i am not sure about the EFI, i just got EFI car so i am still playing with it, but on my carbed accord the problem with running on 3 cylinders was caused by moisture inside the distributor. check for the seal between the dirstributor and the cap. it may be worn out or missing.

about oil burning, i had the same problem, it is your valve guides. the only way to fix it is to take the head off and give to a mashine shop to fix it.

BootMachine
11-06-2003, 11:53 AM
The seal is missing...I'll replace it and see what happens!

I knew the valves were toast !

Tnkx for the info!

shepherd79
11-06-2003, 12:31 PM
replacing the rubber valve seals won't help. i tried that on my car 3 times, and it didn't help.

BootMachine
11-10-2003, 10:07 AM
REALLY!

Tnkx for that info!

I wont even try then...I'll just get it all done properly!