PDA

View Full Version : Two potential problems.

drknow
11-05-2003, 12:54 PM
Well, I think my headers are rusted through, unless this is normal ;).

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/436000-436999/436503_1_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/436000-436999/436503_2_full.jpg

And, I have an oil leak somewhere next to the valve cover on the left side(facing the car). It is running down the motor mount.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/436000-436999/436503_3_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/436000-436999/436503_4_full.jpg

Any help with these probs???

BootMachine
11-05-2003, 01:05 PM
well..to me it looks like you have a big hole in your exhaust mani but its hard to tell with that heat sheild on!

Take it off and snap some more pics!

OR...start your engine and feel for BURNING HOT EXHAUST GAS comming from the hole....oh yeah..not to mention a VERY LOUD ENGINE

drknow
11-05-2003, 01:06 PM
Yea, thats why i didnt know if it was a hole in the pipes or just a heat sheild. Ill take it off.

Vinny
11-05-2003, 01:08 PM
salvage run for the exhaust manifold, might want to double check that your oil isn't from the valve cover

BootMachine
11-05-2003, 01:18 PM
well....I dunno. If I had a hole in my exhaust mani I'd know without even getting out of the car!

I mean....it should be loud....like...nascar loud man!

Take that heat sheild off and snap some more pics.

The bolts for the heat sheild will prob snap in the manifold but thats ok...I have not had a heat sheild on for like a year and nothing seems to be melting!

Plus its easier to change the O2 sensor! Your engine looks like a 1.8L Bi-Carb right?

BootMachine
11-05-2003, 01:20 PM
just looked at it again....yep...looks like a massive hole in the exhaust mani!

BUT....why are the plug wires not burnt right above...the gas comming out of there is so hot its not even funny!

and why are the edges of the heat sheild around the hole not black?!?!!?

:wtf:

and how can you not hear it???

k-roy
11-05-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by drknow
Well, I think my headers are rusted through, unless this is normal ;).

I dont know about you but I only see one header. And it definitly needs replaced. You should replace the valve cover gasket too. And while the header is off scrub down the block with degreaser.

BootMachine
11-05-2003, 01:30 PM
dont jump the gun....

He does not know if there is a hole there which must mean that he cant hear the exhaust leak (which is so loud you wont be able to hear anything else) so it MAY NOT be a hole....

Could be a casting piece that came off between the ports! Cant tell until that heatsheild comes off!

k-roy
11-05-2003, 01:32 PM
The only way to find out is the finger test. Better let it sit overnite first.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
11-05-2003, 01:58 PM
That is NOT a hole in the manifold. I have the same opening on my car in between the tubes from exhaust ports. Looks perfectly normal. Also, as was mentioned before, your car will be LOUD if there is a hole in the manifold.

Mac
11-05-2003, 02:19 PM
The oil leak might be the distributor o- ring.

drknow
11-05-2003, 02:24 PM
Im not sure about the oil leak, but it isnt a hole in the manifold, it is just rusted through right over it. The pipes are getting very rusty also. I tried to take the heat sheild off, but only managed to break the bolt off :(. Oh well, I think Ill get a new header sometime soon.

Mac
11-05-2003, 02:29 PM
You might want to try soaking the bolts with PB Blaster overnight before trying to remove them.

k-roy
11-05-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Mac
You might want to try soaking the bolts with PB Blaster overnight before trying to remove them.

http://www.pbblaster.com/store/images/PBCatalyst.gif

That stuff has saved my ass on several ocassions. That compony has some more cool stuff too.

Mac
11-05-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by kroy

That stuff has saved my ass on several ocassions.

Yep me too. I use it all the time. You have to be patient and let it soak in awhile.

drknow
11-05-2003, 05:02 PM
well, i guess ill know better next time.

zero.counter
11-05-2003, 05:57 PM
The headers are normally all rusted like that, at least here in Central Texas. There is no hole, that is just the way it looks. Use the penetrating oil as posted, because many have broken header bolts in the process of removal.

Well, about the oil loss issue. I would suggest parking in a clean area after running the engine for awhile and checking for oil spillage. If not, then dump the oil out of the pan and measure how much actually came out. For it to burn off that bad, you would surely notice something.

Check for faulty engine core plugs, a loose oil filter, stripped drain bolt, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, bad distributor O-Ring and so forth. There is a UV additive like the one used for A/C leaks, that can be used to locate the leak. I can't remember the name since I am at work, but will post it when I go home tonight. Use an engine degreaser of some kind to clean the engine and shoot off with a high pressure hose (of course taking the correct precautions when shooting water into the engine bay). That way you have a clean slate to check for seepage.

A20A1
11-05-2003, 07:26 PM
Yeah it's cast iron, a very rough cast... that thing will have some exterior rust but for the most part it will out last your car, the metal is pretty thick, I had to grind thru each cylinder to make the flage for my 4-1 header and by the time I was done my 6" grinding disk was smaller then 2".