PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Gear - Working Hard

hkplayer
11-05-2003, 07:51 PM
Hi Guys,

When my auto trans 3g hits third, it works a little longer/harder before going to fourth. Are my gear ratios off? I have only had this car for a little bit but didn't realize it until now.

A shop said that the third gear is working a little longer/harder because it is going into overdrive and so it is somewhat extended before going to 4th. I was like...wha?

Your thoughts?

k-roy
11-05-2003, 07:55 PM
The gear ratios are not off, I doubt they have ever been changed. As for that being normal behavior I do not know, I have never driven an automatic Honda.

A20A1
11-05-2003, 08:05 PM
Hmm, you're in D4 right?
I don't know about overdrive... I know the trans will hold a gear if you're going uphill.

hkplayer
11-05-2003, 08:59 PM
I don't think the gear ratios have ever been changed either. And yes, D4 is correct ;)

Any other thoughts?

HondaGuy32
11-06-2003, 04:28 PM
My Honda accord 89 lx also spends extra time in 3rd gear before it hits fourth, but it also sucks going up hills(have you tried going up hills if so do you lose speed when going up only moderately steep heels) I often find myself going only 35-45 up small hills.

Also I can't keep going a steady 65 I must keep accelarating, if I keep my foot on the pedal it seems like it drops a gear but if I put my foot back on the gas it immediately re-engages.

accordlxi2.0
11-06-2003, 07:03 PM
my does that too! both do.
and that hill thing yall said it does that too.
and sometime's when the gas pedal is steady it goes in forth and the conveter lock's at the same time or different time at different shift piont's.
it's just monitoring the steadiness of the gas pedal and load.

hkplayer
11-06-2003, 07:24 PM
Holy, and I thought my car was weird. Well, I would consider our sort of auto trans shiftnig an age thing with the 3g. I suppose to rid it all would be to enhance it with goodies, but I intend to keep mine stock. So as long as fellow 3g's are feeling the same, then here we are :)

Thanks!

biggybaz
11-07-2003, 05:19 AM
I dont know for shore but i think it is somthing to do with the main drive gears having a overdrive.

HondaGuy32
11-10-2003, 12:57 PM
Hmmm but is there a way to remedy the hill thing I mean I would really like to be able to go faster up a hill it gets pretty rediculous when ever car on the road is passing you up a hill.

k-roy
11-10-2003, 01:00 PM
The best fix for that is a 5 Speed swap. I can accelerate up mountains.

Dibbs
11-10-2003, 01:14 PM
Have you thought about you TV adjustment cable? If it's not adjusted properly, it can cause weird erratic shifting. Also, have you checked your fluid level?