PDA

View Full Version : mmm, medium-rare subs?

POS carb
06-24-2002, 06:11 PM
I didn't realize it but the ports in my box got blocked off and I had the system cranking and I turned up the gain on the bass (I thought the CD had little bass) and after a while I noticed the ever-dreaded electrical burn smell and I found it was coming from my box ports, but the subs still work at equal volume levels to each other... could I have PARTIALLY toasted them? I hate shit like this!
BTW they are JBL GT1200 guzzling 300 RMS watts each (Rated at 280RMS) in a (POS) Q-Logic bandpass box

Bobs89LXi
06-24-2002, 09:14 PM
You probably overheated the voice coils. The laquer finish on them doesn't take heat too well. Usually the air flow generated by the subs themselves is enough to keep them cool. However, if the box is completely sealed, heat will build up, overheating the insulation. If I were you, I would take a multimeter and measure the impedence. It should read the rated level, within +/- 5%. If it is less, the insulation had broken down. I would also check all the solder joints for damage.

POS carb
06-25-2002, 03:06 AM
my car still stinks like 6 hours after removing them, uggghhhh, I wa gonna try the mulimeter test but I need to find a new 9v battery

POS carb
06-29-2002, 09:52 PM
well I hooked them back up in my room to a Crown DC-300a amp and they sound fine (they sound weird w/out a lowpass filter0 but the sound isn't harsh and the cone moves smoothly so I dunno, I guess I'll shut up and enjoy them lol

Bobs89LXi
06-30-2002, 07:59 AM
Consider yourself lucky. :D

pimping89lxi
07-05-2002, 02:41 PM
:bandit:

:werd:

jigga225
07-05-2002, 09:27 PM
forget that man and keep pounding.
My Kickers did that one time, whenever I ran some test tones to them (nothing was blocking the ports though). They werent affected tho.