PDA

View Full Version : odd rpm issues

markmdz89hatch
11-07-2003, 08:37 AM
The last few days the coupe has been one pissed off puppy.

She's not idling to save her life. I know last time I asked about a similar problem someone mentioned a vaccum leak, but I'm not 100% sure that's the problem.

Here's what's going on now.
Now she starts up and as always the cold-start idle is way up there (2-3K) and does not kick itself down. I have to tap the gas to drop it once it's warm. But now, after the car is warm, she has no idle. I mean none. I have to step on the gas and brake at the same time to keep the car from stalling. Her rpm's hit the floor without my foot on the gas pedal. Now, this happens all the time. If I'm just at a stop, coming to a stop, or just let off the gas on the highway while doing any speed. It's incredibly weird.

The car's an auto, and even when I put it in Neutral, the idle's still fukd.

I'm not sure if this is a fuel delivery problem (ie. filters, lines, float, etc.), a vaccum problem, or an internal carb problem.

I'm just not sure anymore.

k-roy
11-07-2003, 08:45 AM
I would say you need to change all three fuel filters? Its like $12. When was the last time you retuned the carb? There is a good howto on that here. If you have no enissions scrap the vacuum lines, it will make a world of differance.If you do all that and fix any vacuum problems check the fuel pump, it may need replaced. they are about $50. It could also be bad gas or water in the tank. What octane/brand do you useually use?

markmdz89hatch
11-07-2003, 09:50 AM
thanks Kroy.
3 fuel filters though? Where's the third one? 1. Firewall 2.behind gas tank 3.?

Anyway, I've only had the car about 8 months. Never yet touched the carb, but I've had my hatch about 5 years and also never touched the carb and she runs mint.

Gas, usually use 87, but sometimes go 89 (gas is just way too expensive these days.), but I always use Mobil. I suppose I can toss in a bottle of carb/fuel system cleaner when I fill up tonight. I replaced the fuel filter on the firewall just a few months back and didn't notice any change, but I'll be replacing the one under the car this weekend when I do the lower front ball joints and rear brakes (gotta get ready for winter.)..

NXRacer
11-07-2003, 10:42 AM
if it was FI i'd say check your O2 sensor. i went and test drove a hatch that had the same problem except after it warmed up the idle would go up and down by about 500 rmp.

k-roy
11-07-2003, 11:12 AM
The third one is the on the end of the fuel pump in the gas tank. It is called the fuel pump strainer.

3rd GEN
11-07-2003, 12:44 PM
there is actually a small one near the needle-n seet on the carb to if i'm not correct.. could be your needn-seet thats got somethin stuck in it..

Mac
11-07-2003, 02:16 PM
Just another idea, maybe check the pcv valve.

DanG86LX
11-07-2003, 03:13 PM
or this... (http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25582)

blok2400
11-07-2003, 07:07 PM
Yeah i had that same problem and it was a vacume line. Thing is there are so many of em. and mine had simply came off. So i just poped it back on and everything was fine.

danronian
11-08-2003, 09:48 PM
One possibility: the float has a hole which is "telling" the fuel to keep pumping into the bowl which is making the car run way too rich. Also could be dirt stuck in the needle and seat causing it to stick open. But I would believe this would be a last option since I really doubt you want to pull the carb apart.