PDA

View Full Version : windshield crack -- can I fix it?

Greg
11-07-2003, 03:54 PM
OK, so I've done dozens of cheapo car repairs in my day, but I've never fixed any cracked glass. I think some kid in my neighborhood ricocheted a beebee gun bullet off it or something, cuz there's a chip, and it has developed into a 5 inch crack.

Can I fix this? Does anyone know anything about it? Can I try to fuse it with my butane torch? Can I use that epoxy fix-it stuff from the cheapo auto parts store?

I'm getting rid of my 3G in a few months (so sad, it runs beautifully, and it's been in my family since day one. Now it has 244,000k miles) and I don't want to spend $200 on a new windshield.

any advice would be appreciated!

Mac
11-07-2003, 04:09 PM
Some small dings in the windshield can be repaired (to an extent) by filling it in. But once a crack developes I think it is beyond repair. You might try a used windshield instead of new.

johndej
11-07-2003, 04:57 PM
hmm......... i wouldn't drop it over a $200 windshield but if you can save its your car. where in the winshield is it? does any part of it leak? i know in VA it will still pass inspection as long as the crack isn't touching any of the edges. try asking a glass shop or somewhere if they know a way to fix it. you could prob get a windshield out of a junkyard 3g too but it would take some work.

SteveDX89
11-07-2003, 06:29 PM
I had a crack in my windshield before and I was researching the same thing. If I remember correctly, the crack has to be less than 6 inches long to be repairable. Unfortunately, mine was as wide as the car and I needed the whole thing replaced. I only paid about $160 for the windshield and install, and they came to my work and did it in the parking lot.

MrBen
11-07-2003, 07:00 PM
You're fucked. Just get a new windshield.

You could try super glue :)

badmanferg
11-08-2003, 10:50 AM
^^^^^bad idea, the crack will eventually spread like aids

just get a used windshield son

bless :D

-kevin

3G Jester
11-08-2003, 11:07 AM
yeah the ghetto way is get a used windsheild. even a repair wont hold up like a new windsheild. not to mention the unsightly line in your glass.

the better way would be get it new. and shop around like steve said someplaces come right to your work and do it in the parkinglot while youwork and dont charge that much. also sometimes it can even be covered under insurance so it wont cost anything.

why are you getting rid of your 3g? if its so nice and runs so beautifully 200 bucks for a new windsheild is nothing. ive spent mroe then that on my 98 av6 in just general upkeep and maintanance and repairs and shit.

johnwc723
11-08-2003, 11:15 AM
vandalize your window your self and get your insurance company to pay for it :) if your deductible is low enough :)

3G Jester
11-08-2003, 12:04 PM
sometimes there isnt a deductible on shit like that. its jsut so cheep that if you have the coverage it takes carer of it. call them up. ask what the deal is. say my windshield is messed up and i wanna know if its covered. dont tell them how big it is and find out how big it hasto be for them to cover it. then make it that big :-D after all..you are paying them to take care of that shit and they do get stingy. there is no honesty in insurance. just dont smash it.....cause they wont vacume it for you and glass SUCKs in your car

danronian
11-08-2003, 09:41 PM
Most cheap insurance plans dont cover windshields, but anyway. Taking out and puting in windshields are a real pain. If you do it (which I would if I were you) use a guitar string to cut out the windshield. Get a string, punch it through the sealant into the inside and attach wood to both ends of it. Then get someone inside the car to pull it along as you pull yours. Now go to the j/y and do the same. If your lucky it wont crack in the process. Then go to the parts store and see if they have windshield sealant (caulk gun type), since that's what the pros use, and but a big bulging bead along the edge of the window after thoroughly wire brushing all of the past sealant off of the mating surface. Chances are the parts store wont have the caulk stuff so you'll probably end up having to use the ribbon style. It will actually be easier with the ribbon style but the caulk is better at sealing, but since you wont have it long, who cares. Good luck!