PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering removal???

88DXcoupe
06-25-2002, 04:56 AM
Is there reall y that much power to be gained? Is it worth trying to manuvere my 15's around manualy? Can I just cut the belt to do it?

1988starter
06-25-2002, 07:30 AM
Maybe, NO, Yes. Now if you really want to see what is up just loosen the belt and remove it do not cut it if you do not like it just reinstall the belt. That is what I did and I put that belt back on right away.

89accordlxi
06-25-2002, 08:14 AM
Yes, you will notice a little more pull from the engine. I didn't like not having the power steering though so I put the belt back on after a day of struggling to turn the car. If you are going to race your car then yeah go ahead and remove it since when you race you are just going in a straight line. But for everyday driving, I just couldn't live without the powersteering. Those are just my thoughts and opinion on the topic. I'm sure there are others that will prefer other wise.

Peace out..

POS carb
06-25-2002, 08:59 AM
i dunno, depends on your driving style and if you can tolerate living without power assist. You won't gain much, you can test your "gains" (should be called "recoveries" lol) by taking off the belt but be warned, fluid will probably pump out (it isn't getting circulated and when you turn the wheel you pump it around and it overflows the tank)

monsonhonda
06-25-2002, 04:54 PM
i think if you do decide to get rid of your power steering you not only have to get rid of the belt, you have to drain the fluid so you dont have to punp it out when you steer, not as hard as you think once you remove the fluid, with the fluid,u might as well just drive into the side of a building

peace

fussell

88DXcoupe
06-27-2002, 05:09 AM
Nah, that's okay I'll leave my power steering on.

CARBurn
06-30-2002, 10:55 PM
Hey, I removed my power steering and I've been happier ever since. Definitely not for the weak, but I've gotten used to it.

SiCReX
02-24-2003, 11:17 PM
so all I need to do is drain all the fluid from my ps, and remove the belt? I probably wont have to worry about that because it will all probably leak out first. but it wont start makin any wierd noises will it? (yeah I know this is a reeeeally old post but i dont care because I need to know how to do it!)

merlindavis
02-25-2003, 04:31 AM
draining the fluid will be hard on your rack... power steering racks need to stay lubricated to keep from burning out... if you really want to get rid of it and keep the shorter rack, and you don't want the difficulty of turning as it is without a belt, just bypass the pump... simply take it out of the equation... it will be a bit harder to steer, yes, but you'll keep the rack lubricated, and you won't run the risk of overflowing the resevoir...

MoonScryer
02-27-2003, 04:25 PM
..... or just take the hardlines that come in and out of the valve body on the rack itself and have a new short hardline made to go from the out to the in. Make sure there is fluid in the line, and that is it.

or get a manual rack.

mugenprelude86
03-03-2003, 05:46 PM
woooohoooo i got rid of my PS... and i got rid of the reservoir and all the lines and everything.. i crimped the lines down at the bottom near the firewall on the apssenger side and everything.. just one question though... is there coolant going to the powersteering rack from that huge coolant tube because i am putting my motor back in after getting rid of this and i have an opening and nowhere for that hose to go...

BTW merlin davis.... how long ago did u start lude conduct??? cause we have had it up heer for a couple years already

od2681
03-06-2003, 10:18 PM
wouldnt that hurt ur power steering..i mean removing belts and crap