PDA

View Full Version : replacement pump- under hood or in tank?

POS carb
11-09-2003, 06:42 AM
Hey I have an electric pump I want to install however I dunno if I shouldtry and mount it in the original location, under the tank somewhere, or under the hood.

Under the hood would be the easiest but I don't know if it will be fed enough (just like some fans are better pushers than pullers) or if it is a safety hazard (when was the last time I gave a damn lol)

suggestions?

Magny
11-09-2003, 01:57 PM
its do-able, just gotta be careful when putting it in the new loc.....first where exactly are you talkin about in the engine bay, cause if you got it where the heat is, its bad in some ways. 2nd, i think you need to keep the pump lower than the tank so when its getting fed its there already instead of having it high up, makin the pump suck for dear life and burn it out.

shepherd79
11-09-2003, 02:28 PM
if you going to put external pump it is better to mount as close to the fuel tank as possible. this way it won't have to work hard to pull the fuel out of the tank.

zero.counter
11-09-2003, 02:30 PM
I would say in the original location, unless you can manage to isolate the pump from all sources of heat. Also, as you noted, will the pump be capable of pull fuel from the tank.

POS carb
11-10-2003, 08:23 AM
well after doing a badass job of adapting the pump to the original bracket I was surprised to found it wouldn't fit through the hole. Rather than risk screwing up the seal on the tank I just decided to mount it by the rear wheel where there used to be a filter. I hooked upa piece of hose with a clear filter to the pickup bracket and mounted the second clear filter up front.

Let me tell you it's just what my car was missing. Much better pull now in the mid to upper RPMs, all the way to shifting.