PDA

View Full Version : Initial Startup

Verdegsr
11-09-2003, 03:14 PM
I just recently bought an 88 LXi that sat up for two years. I changed the spark plugs, wires, and replaced the battery. I then started it up. Of course a lot of smoke came out and it wouldn't stay cranked. I kept running it until it began to try and idle. A few questions:
White smoke came out, is this normal for a car to do this after sitting so long?
It ran kind of rough, like the engine moving back and forth quickly. Could this be the result of old gas?
Is there anything else I need to do to try and get this on the road engine wise?
Will doing a compression check give me some vital information?
Thanks!

Neuspeed87lx
11-09-2003, 07:33 PM
how long did you let the car run for .... i would just start it rev the motor a few times and just drive it around for a while ....

danronian
11-10-2003, 05:46 AM
Get some dry gas and add it to the fuel to get the moisture out of the tank. I am sure there is some moisture in the tank after that long. If the dry gas doesnt help siphon out the tank.

Verdegsr
11-10-2003, 06:24 PM
Alright, I haven't replaced the gas yet, but I haven't started it again either. But I did do a compression check and here are my results:
Starting from the passenger side to the drivers side
cyl 1 - 185, cyl 2 - 185, cyl 3 - 155, cyl 4 - 130
I don't really know what it should be but I do know that the last two shouldn't be that low. This car has 230,000 miles on it, it doesn't appear to have any water in the oil, and I'm just trying to get it running good. Can I buy some type of additive to improve the compression a little? It makes a put-put sound when it running, like an old tractor would do. Couldn't a bad exhaust leak make this sound? What all can I do to know what condition the headgasket is in? Thanks in advance.