PDA

View Full Version : Please help...god I hope its something easy! She broke down yesterday.

Jdub07
06-25-2002, 09:27 AM
The honda has been parked for two days. I pumped the gas and she fired right up. I drove about 2 miles and everytime I pushed the gas the car would sputter and barely go...when I would come to a stop it would sputter hard core at about 100 - 200 rpms? Then I got to a light and it just died. Turn the key and she turns over and over and over but wont fire up. Then turn the key and nothing...keep it turn and it will slowly start to turn over again? :wtf: I lifted the hood and took the lid off and could smell gas like a mother fucker...shook the car and could hear gas gurggiling in the carb (i think). I haven't had a chance to look over it to well because is was later in the day. I have a full tank of gas, new filters, all the lights come on and the radio works. Can someone please help me! This is my first break down in the four years I have owned the honda.

1988starter
06-25-2002, 10:32 AM
Just curious when was the last time you got the carb cleaner out. My GF car had a lot of stalling problems and her carb was all gumed up after a can of cleaner and a toothbrush it was fixed.

Jdub07
06-25-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by 1988starter
Just curious when was the last time you got the carb cleaner out. My GF car had a lot of stalling problems and her carb was all gumed up after a can of cleaner and a toothbrush it was fixed.

I used the carb cleaner about a month ago.

1988starter
06-25-2002, 10:45 AM
I think you should find POS

1988starter
06-25-2002, 10:46 AM
Pos is on AOL Im right now "Krome CO"

CoAsTeR
06-25-2002, 11:25 AM
well if you can smell gas, then its a spark problem or potentially a vaccuum problem... but it shouldn't have THAT much of a hard time restarting though, unless of course its maj0rly flooded. anyways, check your cap/rotor & ignition system. whens the last time you did a tuneup?

just some suggestions...

Jdub07
06-25-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by CoAsTeR
well if you can smell gas, then its a spark problem or potentially a vaccuum problem... but it shouldn't have THAT much of a hard time restarting though, unless of course its maj0rly flooded. anyways, check your cap/rotor & ignition system. whens the last time you did a tuneup?

just some suggestions...

Well I went home on my lunch and checked all the fuses, battery cables, battery water and belts they are all fine. I tried to start it up again and nothing. So I pumped the gas peddle a few times and tried and nothing...then I just held the peddle to the floor and tried to start it. It choked and coughed then barley started. Then I reved it up to about 3500 rpms for a couple seconds and it came back down to about 600-700 rmps and stayed running. Then I sprayed carb cleaner in with my brother keeping the revs at about 3000rpms and after that it kept running but pretty rough and still only at about 700rpms. This is a good sign right? Been two years since my last tune up.

POS carb
06-25-2002, 08:01 PM
see if your float reads a level.
When I flipped my carb it would always flood an enormous ammount of fuel, the bowl wouldn't retain the gas, I dunno why.
if you can't start it al all I'd say it's something related
if you can rev it and stuff but it won't idle it's probably the slow speed solenoid crap on the rear disconnected.

anyways, go check your float level.

Jdub07
06-26-2002, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by POS carb
see if your float reads a level.
When I flipped my carb it would always flood an enormous ammount of fuel, the bowl wouldn't retain the gas, I dunno why.
if you can't start it al all I'd say it's something related
if you can rev it and stuff but it won't idle it's probably the slow speed solenoid crap on the rear disconnected.

anyways, go check your float level.

I have no idea what a float level is....please advise! And the slow speed solenoid? Sounds simple yet haven't a clue where those things are located. I didn't even get to look at it last night but I did flip the lid back to normal. What makes the fuel get flooded when flipping the lid??? :confused:

Jdub07
06-28-2002, 07:55 AM
ok...well I haven't gotten much response to this post but have some new information and am lookin to you guys for some thoughts on what you think might happening. I will have more time tomorrow to get a better look and work on it. SO any way I wen't home last night and pumped the gas twice, turned the key and she fired right up?!? I'm like WTF. So I let her warm up for a couple min. and she is idleing just fine! I jump and take her for a spin around the block and by the time I get back home she is idleing at around 700-800rpms and is a bit shaky. Tomorrow I will be doing all the normal things such as oil filter, fuel filters, air filter, plugs, wires, cap/rotor. Is there anything else I should be looking to do? I just don't get it. It totally died Monday and I had to get her towed...now she is starting and running. Not quite up to par but still! wtf???? I am pretty confused. Could something have gotten into the carb?? leaves? water? I don't get it. I checked all the hoses and don't seem to see and leaks!?

dj99
06-28-2002, 09:31 AM
Just a thought.. Maybe your coil is starting to go, and is letting you know gracefully? There are multimeter checks you can do in a Haynes manual. Push all your wires on tight too. :)

DonnyG
06-30-2002, 07:28 PM
hmm my car used to do something just like this and then one day it finally died completly. Hmm it kinda makes me think it's the coil and not the timing belt. My car used to spudder when I was driving and then I would jerk to car had to the right and then it would work fine. Then like 3 weeks ago my car just died completely and the guy that is checking out my car did a test with a wire that car from the distribution cap, he had it like an 1/8 inch away from metel and he had me try to start it up. He said it got one spark and then no more. Hmm I'm confused as a mofo and so is he, Can anyone help me out on what it is??? or what I should tell him to check out or fix?

cruznz
06-30-2002, 08:32 PM
What type of coil is it?....

long cylinder?..or short oval?

1988starter
07-01-2002, 07:30 AM
This sounds like a good exscuse to get an accel coil.

Jdub07
07-01-2002, 12:29 PM
Ok,....I replaced the cap/rotor, air filter, both fuel filters, oil/oil filter, plugs and wires = $106.12. Turn the key and VRRRRRRRRRRRRUUMMM! Fired right up and purrrred like a kitten. Let her warm up a bit and took off around the block again and boy she hasn't ran that quick in a long time. This time when getting back she idled just a HAIR low. I don't want to fuck with the idle so I'll change the coil next. I can't think of anything else the low idle can be unless my carb is going (please lord not the carb)