PDA

View Full Version : Dual prelude setup

Racingcrazed2002
11-10-2003, 10:48 AM
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if it would be possible to swap the dual carb setup from a prelude onto my 89 lx with an a20a1. I have looked all over the sight trying to find something on it and no luck. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated thanks guys

k-roy
11-10-2003, 11:12 AM
You are in luck. Yes you can. You need to get the head off of the Prelude because the intake ports will not match up to your head. The Prelude was an A18 that had that setup. The new head will giive you a bit higher compression too.
Keep searching. There is info here for you.
like this:
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19149&highlight=Dual+Carb

POS carb
11-10-2003, 11:31 AM
yea but the prelude carbs aren't exactly a performance upgrade, also remember that they go on an even smaller engine.
one thing that may be worth persuing is the adaptability of DCOE carbs to the Lude head, if that can be done easier than to the A20 head then we are in luck.

k-roy
11-10-2003, 11:41 AM
Oh man, I cant believe I did not even think of that. DCOE carbs are the only way to go with a prelude head.

shepherd79
11-10-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by POS carb
yea but the prelude carbs aren't exactly a performance upgrade, also remember that they go on an even smaller engine.

in this case he can swap bigger mikunies from the bike. they will work just fine.

one thing that may be worth persuing is the adaptability of DCOE carbs to the Lude head, if that can be done easier than to the A20 head then we are in luck.

www.twminduction.com makes DCOE intake manifold for prelude head.

Racingcrazed2002
11-11-2003, 08:05 PM
Hey Guys,
Thamnks for the great Ideas this is a big help. One more thing I need to know though is what are DCOE carbs and would I go about doing that the same way as doing the dual carb swap-over?

k-roy
11-11-2003, 09:17 PM
http://www.carbs.net/Weber/weberpartscarb.asp
That is the DCOE series.
You will need to make a custom manifold. I recommend buying a book on the Webers, it is an invaluable resource.

Racingcrazed2002
11-11-2003, 11:28 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, it will really help me out but I guess I have a few more questions for you all. Is it worth converting over to a weber carb? Will it make that much differance? or should I try something else because Im looking to get alot of performance out of the car. I have a 1989 Accord LX, and all the import fans in my town keep telling me that "Ill never make anything of my POS carbed engine" are they right or can I do something to blow their doors off and laugh in their face. PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks

shepherd79
11-12-2003, 04:06 AM
it will make a lot of diff with DCOE carbs. you will feel the diff.

k-roy
11-12-2003, 04:34 AM
Hell yea you will feel a big differance. Weber was the carb that Ferrari was kicking ass with back in the day.
Here is a Weber IDF setup :D
The IDF is a strait downdraft while the DCOE is a sidedraft. They are very similar.
http://www.carclassic.com/images8/BM27/BM27-9.jpg

Here is what the DCOE would look like on your engine.
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/11/web/383000-383999/383975_8.jpg

POS carb
11-14-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by shepherd79

www.twminduction.com makes DCOE intake manifold for prelude head.

Hey I was just checking and I can't find it... where is ti listed? the only parts I saw were for converting DCOE carb'd cars to EFI

If there is a DCOE carb manifold for the Lude then you can have a DCOE bolt on kit by bbuying a rebuilt prelude head and this manifold along with the DCOE's
It would run you about a grand at the most but the car would be like 3x faster (kind of an exaggeration but you would most definately feel the power increase)
:werd:

funkytuqe
11-14-2003, 09:37 AM
TWM no longer sells the DCOE manifold for prelude. Try to give them a call, they can get you the number of the company called Autoquip that manufactured and supplied TWM with the prelude manifold. What year is your car and what motor do you have? The prelude ET2 or A18 head fits on the A20A1 and A20A3 motors. Your other option is to buy the B16 or B18 DCOE manifold from TWM and mod it to fit the A20.

POS carb
11-15-2003, 01:20 PM
are those 40's on your Lude or bigger? Nice!

funkytuqe
11-16-2003, 10:55 AM
They are 40's, i wish now that i went bigger to the 45's, i've maxed these puppys out and my motor is nearly stock!!!!! I'm looking into getting my chokes bored to 38mm, that should work ok i think.