PDA

View Full Version : Headlight adjusting? howto

jagojon3
11-10-2003, 02:35 PM
Does anybody know the correct way to adjust your headlights? Like how far away from a wall you should be and how high your lights should shine? My H4 conversions look bright as hell when u look at them from the front but they don't light up the road worth a damn! I'm thinking their too high, maybe too low I don't know. Any help would be great!

k-roy
11-10-2003, 02:43 PM
There is a screw on the top center of the headlamp for vertical adjustment. Then there is one on the right center to adjust left to right.

Trial and error is the bast way. I parked the car on level ground facing a brick wall. They are aimed strait foreward, about 5-10 degrees downward.

Bloodlust
11-10-2003, 02:46 PM
Well make sure you have bright enough bulbs. Also, there are two screws in the headlight. One makes the light point upwards or downwards, and the other one makes it go left or right. I believe the one that controls left or right is on the left side of the headlight. If you tighten the screw it will make it point more to the center of the car, and if you loosen it it will point more away from the car. And the one that controls up and down I believe it on the bottom of the headlight. If you tighten it, it will point more down, and if you loosen it it will point up.

When doing this be about 10 feet from a garage door or something and they should be pointing at about 1/4 the height of the garage door and the lights should expand the entire width of it also. This is my preferences but others may have different.

Hope that helps.

shepherd79
11-10-2003, 06:21 PM
the light adjustment should be in your Honda manual.

jagojon3
11-11-2003, 02:31 PM
I don't have a honda manual... well there's a couple methods for adjusting but I don't like either of them. I want a method with specific numbers, not like "1/4 the height of the garage door." How do you know how tall my garage door is? Something like "10 feet back from the wall and lights should shine at 3 feet high" would be nice.

k-roy
11-11-2003, 02:46 PM
www.pauldesign.ru
Get the manual there if you want to have the exact info. Props to Paul for the download.

MrBen
11-11-2003, 02:47 PM
Yeah I do mine 1/4 the height of the garage door too. I posted a how-to on adjusting your headlights a while back. Search my username for it.

MrBen
11-11-2003, 02:50 PM
Screw it, I found it.

Park your car 25 feet in front of a blank wall on a level floor. Position masking tape vertically on the wall in reference to the vehicle centerline and the centerline of both headlights. Position a horizontal tape line in reference to the centerline of all the headlights. Note: It may be easier to position the tape on the wall with the vehicle parked only a few inches away. Adjustment should be made with the vehicle sitting lvel, the gas tank half full, and no unsually heavy objects in the vehicle. Starting with the low beam adjustment position the high intensity zone so it is 2 inches below the line and 2 inches to the right of the headlight vertical line. Adjustment is made turning the bottom adjusting screw counterclockwise to raise the beam and clockwise to lower the beam. The adjusting screw on the side should be used in the same manner to move the beam left or right.

So basically, to draw the lines, mark the vertical centerline on the wall by using the center of your car, then the horizontal centerline by marking it on the wall when its a few inches away. It should look like a plus.

jagojon3
11-11-2003, 03:41 PM
ok so basically you are saying that the height should be adjusted so the lights are 2 inches below pointing straight forward? And the horizontal centerline... line that up with the center of the headlight, right where the bulb is?